Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting

Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM

That would be awesome thanks
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

I will keep watching!

No insult but it sounds like you have a vested interest in the bow you are talking about.

Nothing wrong with that and Excalibur has a grea and loyal following.

The lack of width of the Ravin intrigued me.

I already have a 2017 Parker at 380 FPS ó I really donít see buying another wide bow.

Parkerís are built like a tank and they have good customer service.

Appreciate info on any and all new technology bow.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boyd View Post
I will keep watching!

No insult but it sounds like you have a vested interest in the bow you are talking about.

Nothing wrong with that and Excalibur has a grea and loyal following.

The lack of width of the Ravin intrigued me.

I already have a 2017 Parker at 380 FPS ó I really donít see buying another wide bow.

Parkerís are built like a tank and they have good customer service.

Appreciate info on any and all new technology bow.
Yeah, I am the regional sales manager for Bowtech / Excalibur, so I am definitely biased.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 PM

I don't have a car in this race, I've never even held a raven. Most people wouldn't believe the difference a spine indexed, spine sorted, weight sorted, top grade xbow arrow makes.
It'll turn a fair grouping xbow into a long range killer. Even an Excalibur.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowanaLee View Post
I don't have a car in this race, I've never even held a raven. Most people wouldn't believe the difference a spine indexed, spine sorted, weight sorted, top grade xbow arrow makes.
It'll turn a fair grouping xbow into a long range killer. Even an Excalibur.
Absolutely Lee, most every cross bow that is well made will be very accurate, but you can take it to the next level spending a little time and money on your arrows.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Default crossbow arrow

Would you tell us fellow xbow shooters how do you pick the perfect arrow
Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Just saw where the 2018’s are out ! Now have a R10 (400fps) and R20 (430fps) plus a “sniper” version of the R20
Old 01-17-2018, 05:30 PM

https://www.facebook.com/Excalibur.C...3022598748463/
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Guys i'm about to pull the trigger most likely on a Barnett Ghost 420. Any input is appreciated!
"John 3:16"
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Gap View Post
As bad as it might sound, generally speaking stock arrows that are included with a cross bow are lower end arrows. Companies can not afford to put premium arrows in these packages. This puts you at a disadvantage if the cross bow you are looking at needs special arrows.

However the 1st thing to do it find some premium cross bow arrows like the Black Eagle Executioners as well as some that are made by Gold Tip and Easton. For my Stryker 360 I used the Black Eagles with brass inserts and used the Parker Capture nock. Then, I take each arrow and number them and shoot them through paper. Yes, I shoot my cross bow through paper. But instead of doing it to "tine" the cross bow, I am doing it to ensure that all of my arrows are reacting the same out of the bow. Most of the time they shoot a bullet hole, but if they do not, I turn the nock to the next vane and shoot it again. I get all of the arrows I plan to shoot shooting a bullet hole. This might eliminate some arrows from being acceptable. Then I go to the range.

I make sure that my bow is sighted in and generally do this with one arrow. Then I shoot all my arrows at the maximum distance I would shoot an animal. Which I say is 60 yards but the truth is, I don't think I would shoot at a deer past 40. However I finish at 60 yards. Shoot all my arrows several times and make sure they all hit exactly the same. This may also cause you to cull an arrow or two that just won't behave.

For my Excalibur I have only played with the Quill arrows. They are 16.5" and pretty short. This summer I plan on 1. Cutting some Executioners down and testing them and 2. Using the Executioners at full length and testing them. Using a longer arrow in an excalibur is fine, the only problem is it puts the point of the arrow out past the sturip. I son't think this is unsafe by any means but there is something to be said for the broad head to be "protected" and inside the bow.

All of the time I have spent in the cross bow industry and knowing what I know, if I were walking into a shop to pay retail for a cross bow, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be an excalibur.

Oh and Lee, we have a new external crank that is made on a one way bearing and is totally silent. No more sounding like a boat crank when you cock your bow!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Great info, Guru - I definitely have some of the arrow issues you describe.

I have just kept shooting til I found 5-6 that shot well and kept them on hand.

I shoot practice Rage or Montec heads and never shoot field points. Always shoot Lumenocks also.

My practice arrows are exact replicas of what I hunt with.

I shoot to 60 with my 380 FPS Parker but want the deer at 35 yards or less.

Have shot 7-8 in the last 4 years and the furthest was 30 yards.

Again, appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Gap View Post
Unless you have the equipment, you cant make or pick one. To spine index one about all you can do is turn the nock to the next vane and try it. Spine indexing and sorting is done on a spine tester. I use the ram spine tester. You can order them from custom arrow builders though. Jerry at South Shore Archery is a good start. Before I purchased a spine tester I got a dozen from him. Worked great. You'll get a lot less fliers per dozen from a custom builder. They'll cost more though.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2018, 11:15 AM

I have been shooting the Parker Thunderhawk for a few years and have been well pleased with it. Decided to take the leap to recurve when I got a heck of a deal on the Excalibur Matrix 360 (I absolutely love it). I haven't held the Ravin but after struggling to get string work in a timely manner I'm gonna stick to the recurve for now. That new Assassin is sweet! Hope I can fit it in my budget next year. Btw- I'm gonna keep my others just for fun shooting and helping get the grandkids started.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:56 PM

I am staying with my 380 FPS Parker until I can afford something very high end, like one of the Ravins.... or some other technically advanced bow.