Windy Saturday. How do you plan and hunt when its windy?

Allen Waters

Weather is calling for high winds this Saturday. It will be a good cold snap.....but very windy....15-20 mph with gusts to 30mph. How do you hunt on windy days? What tactics or changes do you make to your plan of attack?

Winds will be out of the NW....I plan to hunt in mixed pines in an area where deer may be protected from the wind. hill side that is facing south to a creek bottom. I will be on the ground. :)

chad777

I too will be grounded on the bottoms with 105grn .243 but I will be between the beds and the pines. I expect that only the time of movement will change. It will be 32F where I will be.

JB0704

The Original JB
I would be somewhere low as protected from wind as possible. But, I ain't gonna hunt thisn'. I'll take this opportunity to do something else with the family.

PASSBOY

In a blind with a Mr. Heater. I hope it will maintain 70 plus.....

chefrific

That's why I'm hunting tonight. Calling for high winds coming in tomorrow afternoon and lasting through Sat. Sunday night looks good.

If and when I hunt high winds, I sit in a stand on the edge of thick cover/bed and food. That is if the wind is blowing in the right direction. Just don't see as many on the hoof when its gusting 20-30mph.

misterpink

They gonna bed in the wind. Saturday morning will be tough. Look for them coming out of the bedding areas at dark on Saturday. Be in the woods early Sunday morning

Randy

The rut is on. They won't be bedding wind or not. Get in the woods. Since I am OTG hunting only this will play right into my hands.

rnelson5

They gonna bed in the wind. Saturday morning will be tough. Look for them coming out of the bedding areas at dark on Saturday. Be in the woods early Sunday morning

Not true. They will be moving. I killed my second biggest buck in 30 mph winds. Hunting the right areas is key.