Went back in the mountains

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Had one of the best days of native trout fishing yesterday that I've had in a long time. Went way back into the Smokies and hit a couple-three creeks. Two of them I'd never fished before, and one I haven't fished in a long time. The first creek was remote, to say the least. It also was teeming with specks. I caught an eight-inch speck on both of my first two casts, in the same hole. The next couple of hours were a speckfest of epic proportions, caught probably 50-60, with most of them being over 7 inches. :cool:

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera on that creek. And after hiking a couple miles and climbing down into a deep gorge, I wasn't going back to get it. I would have loved to have had some pics of those specks, though.

After climbing back up out of the gorge, I went on to another creek. I was catching mostly rainbows and browns at first, then started getting into the specks.

creek1.jpg

rainbow1.jpg

rainbow2.jpg

speck1.jpg

speck2.jpg

You gotta stop and admire the sights sometimes.

reishi.jpg

laurel.jpg

Elk tracks on the creekbank. This is many, many miles from anywhere I've seen elk sign before, they're apparently spreading out all the time.

elktracks.jpg

Back to the truck tired and hungry. Time for lunch.

lunch1.jpg

lunch2.jpg

After I ate, I hiked back into another remote little creek and caught plenty of nice specks until both the sun and my energy levels were sinking low.

creek2.jpg

speck3.jpg

speck4.jpg

Had a great day, and quitting time came way too soon.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Awesome man! I was thinking about you while I was frying up my streamside burger.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome man! I was thinking about you while I was frying up my streamside burger.

What's the odds on a bacon cheeseburger with those same obscure chips? You would love that first creek.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
What's the odds on a bacon cheeseburger with those same obscure chips? You would love that first creek.

No kidding, I gotta show this to my wife.

We had to really work on the specs. Of course, we got there right after daybreak and were off the stream by lunch. So the bugs didn't start hatching until we had already fished a bunch. We fished a long ways up past where the trail leaves the creek and the creek starts to live up to its name.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a heck of a day , nice photos !

jbogg

Epic day and nice pics! It seems I have a lot left to learn about dining in the wilderness. That's doing it right!

Bream Pole

beautiful thanks for posting remember when I used to have some energy for that sort of thing

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Awesome pics!!:cool::cool:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That is the best type of fishing!