What type of bush is this?

mockjaybird

I've been told a Mayhaw, but I'm not certain that is true! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 487

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a plum. They make near about as good a jelly as mayhaws do. Mayhaws been gone since around the first of June.

mockjaybird

Thanks Nic, I thought it was a wild plum too. We have had this property in Taylor county for 5 years, and these bushes are everywhere! This is the first year any of these had fruit on them. I wasn't sure because they are only about the size of a grape! Thanks for the info!

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Looks like hog plums. Bitter as gall.

mockjaybird

My daughter's face says it all!! Lol. It does taste like a plum but bitter! Thanks for the info guys, wonder if the deer like them, there are some tracks around the bushes!

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 464

ucfireman

The wild plums I've seen are yellow/gold. Bitter until they get soft then wonderful. They will poke the heck out of you though.

cjones

My daughter's face says it all!! Lol. It does taste like a plum but bitter! Thanks for the info guys, wonder if the deer like them, there are some tracks around the bushes!

Yes deer like them. We found a clump of bushes on my parents' new property. Went back the next week to pick a bunch of them and they had been eaten bare. Tons of deer tracks and droppings all over the thicket.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
The pics the OP loaded are Hog Plums, the sweet ones are larger and are Chickasaw Plums.

Hog, flatwoods, sloe plum - all the same thing Prunus umbellata. Bitter raw but still makes a fine jelly. Wildlife love 'em.