Jack Mount

TriggerHappyJake

What do yall think about getting a Jack mounted? I've got just about everything but a fish on the wall and I personally think a big Jackfish would make a cool looking mount. If any of yall have a Jack I'd love to see it.

WPrich

I think a big Jack in the 6+ pound range would be worth mounting imo. Personally I'd like to catch one that size myself one day, but can't seem to get a decent one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always wanted a big mounted gar.

cmriner

Let me catch Ole jack fish weighing 5 lb plus and see if he don't cover up sum paint. But man if they don't eat good.

61BelAir

Bringing up an old thread, but it's keeping me from starting a whole new one:
1st to answer the OP - Yes I'd like to have a good sized one mounted. I've seen several northern / muskie mounts and have even seen forms for replica mounts that were small enough to work for a big chain pickerel. They always have their mouth open and gills flared. I'd personally rather the mouth was open slightly and the gills laying down more naturally.

Have any of you caught a jack over 5 pounds? I know the world record is from GA at nearly 10 pounds, but I just wonder how often they get even half that size? I wish I knew how long that record fish was.

I've caught a bunch of them over 24" long. My biggest weighed 3 lb. 4 oz. and was 27" long. My wife caught one right at 30", but it's body was skinny compared to it's head. We didn't have a scale with us that day. I also saw one that she hooked jump and cut her line that was considerably bigger than the ones mentioned above.
I've heard old timers talking about catching big jack that were over 3' long, but who knows how much of that was fish tales.

As a boy playing in the creek my favorite fish to catch (and eat) was the redfin pike so that family of fish has always been a target for me. A jack over five pounds is on my bucket list, but I may have to settle for heading to TN or NC and catching a decent Northern or Muskie.

Bream Pole

They are beautiful fish and would make a great mount. Doesn't have to be trophy size.

bowbuck

I haven't done it in several years but I have caught some really nice ones between 25-30 inches on the northern GA power lakes in Feb-mar on shiners around tree tops. I have hooked one on a flyrod that was enormous (34-36")and cut me off on a heavy mono bite tippet. If I wanted a 5+ pounder I would start there. The ones I have caught are heavy from eating bluebacks I would imagine. My wife caught one several years ago that would have went around 7 lbs and was around 32". It was released and is her largest fish to date.

Latest posts