Beet pulp

farmasis

According to tractor supply, where I buy my feed, Purina has dscontinued their deer chow. I was mixing 50/50 of it with corn for my feeders. I had planned to feed year round, along with food plots to hold the deer on my personal land of about 50 acres.

I picked up a bag of beet pulp to mix with the corn. Anyone have any experience with it? Not much protein, but high in fiber. Would oats be better?

gadeerwoman

I've seen it at TS but never tried it. I'd be looking for something with more protein. With proper browse the deer are getting plenty of fiber already.

win280

I had been mixing corn with protein pellets and was told to try rice bran. The nutrition level is about the same as corn,but the deer seem to like my feeder better since I tryed this mixture. I started this mixture the 2nd week of January.Now I am mixing 2 bags of corn to 1/4 bag of rice bran. I will gradually switch to a full protein pellet/rice bran around the end of april and gradually back to a full corn /rice bran mixture next november.

hornhunter44

we have been using goat feed and corn 50/50 mix and the deer are eating everything on the ground. Minimal waste, we run our feeders year round with healthier heavier deer for our efforts

Buck Trax

I've never heard of feeding deer beet pulp, but with horses, you have to thouroughly soak it in water before you can feed it. If not, it can expand in their rumen (a bad deal), or they can choke on it. It does however, greatly increase digestibility of anything else they eat due to its fiber content. It also has a high sugar content.

Big Al

I have used it before and have used it with mixed results. I have mixed it with corn and they have eaten it fine. I have mixed it with goat pellets and they did not seem to like it at all. They finished the trough full but it took them twice as long as it did to eat the corn mix. I tried chewing on some to see how sweet it was and all I can say is those sugar companies squeeze every bit of good out of it. I tstill had some sweetness to it but not near what you would expect.