GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 PM
ShadowHunter's Avatar
ShadowHunter ShadowHunter is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Blue Sky Hunting- Charlton Co., GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Bipolar Broad heads

I was doing some shooting in the back yard at about 30 yds into a broad head target and dusted off my 100g bipolars from a couple years back and they are not deploying upon impact. They were not breaking the shear pin. I shot 3 of them several times.

I thought even with a softer, layered type broad head target they would break the shear pin, but did not.

Thinking the impact with a deer would certainly cause deployment but wondering if anyone has experienced trouble with them. I have been using the Rage 2 blade for a couple years without any issue but really like the bipolars and some of the destruction they appear to do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Johnny 71's Avatar
Johnny 71 Johnny 71 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I shot a bipolar over and over into a target, over a matter of months, never had one not open
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM
SCDieselDawg's Avatar
SCDieselDawg SCDieselDawg is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Westminster,SC
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I've had it happen in those soft layered targets. Like you, I was shooting some that had been laying around for a year or so. I've also had it happen with other brands than BiPolar. My guess is that corrosion, rust or dust sets up in them and inhibits they're ability to function properly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Garnto88's Avatar
Garnto88 Garnto88 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hawkinsville, Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I've never had one not to open shooting an animal. I don't shoot targets with the deployable blades .
__________________
"I haven't heard a thing all morning"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:55 AM
satchmo's Avatar
satchmo satchmo is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jasper, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Me and my wife are useing them this season. They will not open in a target, and shouldn't. If you were to put a piece of any type of leather, shammy, etc.. Anything that mimics a deers skin. It will open every time. When that hide, meat ,etc. fill with meat and hair between those blades and feral it pops that shear pin and you can hear the blades hit the ferral. It's our first year with them and we are three deer into it very pleased. No failures at all. My wife even got a complete pass through with 42 pounds, 366 grains, and a 28 inch draw. Can't give any real reason why they work as great as they do. But you can't argue with results.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Ihunt Ihunt is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Not in IOWA,Dang
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
Me and my wife are useing them this season. They will not open in a target, and shouldn't. If you were to put a piece of any type of leather, shammy, etc.. Anything that mimics a deers skin. It will open every time. When that hide, meat ,etc. fill with meat and hair between those blades and feral it pops that shear pin and you can hear the blades hit the ferral. It's our first year with them and we are three deer into it very pleased. No failures at all. My wife even got a complete pass through with 42 pounds, 366 grains, and a 28 inch draw. Can't give any real reason why they work as great as they do. But you can't argue with results.
What happened to your Ramcats?
__________________
I know the arrogant,obnoxious,ignorant,greedy dirtbag Redlevel and I shoot his hogs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM
BowanaLee's Avatar
BowanaLee BowanaLee is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Henry co. GA.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
I was doing some shooting in the back yard at about 30 yds into a broad head target and dusted off my 100g bipolars from a couple years back and they are not deploying upon impact. They were not breaking the shear pin. I shot 3 of them several times.

I thought even with a softer, layered type broad head target they would break the shear pin, but did not.

Thinking the impact with a deer would certainly cause deployment but wondering if anyone has experienced trouble with them. I have been using the Rage 2 blade for a couple years without any issue but really like the bipolars and some of the destruction they appear to do.
Id think thats a good thing because you can shoot without dulling your blades. Kinda like having practice blades. I used them one season and they worked every time on deer and in my blob targets.
Left an awesome blood trail too. So good you'd better wear rubber boots. My guess its just your soft target. Sounds like the kind my xbow shoots through ? Another reason to use blobs.
__________________
Bow - A weapon that uses elasticity to propel arrows. Bwana - Swahili, our father, master, boss. >>-Bowana-> Master bow hunter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Permitchaser Permitchaser is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oxford GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Try Muzzy fixed blades. You don't have to worry if they open. Just sayen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 PM
satchmo's Avatar
satchmo satchmo is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jasper, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihunt View Post
What happened to your Ramcats?
Ramcats sold to another company and didn't need us anymore. So we switched to another head. I can remember taking Ramcats from store to store and begging people to try them. I gave away hundreds of Ramcats trying to get people to shoot them. They sure took off. And now they are in Walmart.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 PM
whchunter whchunter is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dublin, GA
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowanaLee View Post
Id think thats a good thing because you can shoot without dulling your blades. Kinda like having practice blades. I used them one season and they worked every time on deer and in my blob targets.
Left an awesome blood trail too. So good you'd better wear rubber boots. My guess its just your soft target. Sounds like the kind my xbow shoots through ? Another reason to use blobs.
You say you used them one season and it sounds like they worked awesome. So why did you change? Are you a field tester/sponsor?
__________________
Sometimes the best way to eliminate injustice is to imitate it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 PM
BowanaLee's Avatar
BowanaLee BowanaLee is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Henry co. GA.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whchunter View Post
You say you used them one season and it sounds like they worked awesome. So why did you change? Are you a field tester/sponsor?
Because I wasn't comfortable using a big head with low poundage. Degenerative arthritis has lowered my poundage a little every year until I'm around 40 lbs comfortably.
I switched to a smaller fixed head for a season. It worked pretty good but I didn't feel that was enough. I just got a xbow. Now I shoot through everything.
I still shoot 3D. 40 lbs works great. You don't want pass throughs there.
__________________
Bow - A weapon that uses elasticity to propel arrows. Bwana - Swahili, our father, master, boss. >>-Bowana-> Master bow hunter.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 PM
trentb's Avatar
trentb trentb is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (4) Check/Add Feedback
Default

He does shoot a real bow!!! a cross bow this year. what he can shoot comfortably. ive shoot the bipolars throuth 4 deer. dead every time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-17-2017, 03:24 PM
satchmo's Avatar
satchmo satchmo is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jasper, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default First Bipolar buck for me.

This is three for me this season and one for my wife.this weekend in Hancock county the deer were moving really good. At 54 pounds, 366 grain total weight arrow, 35 yard shot( it was perfect or I wouldn't have take a 35 yard shot).I get 100% pass through on every deer, and this was a 174 pounds live( not a guess). Delila got a pass through on a doe shooting 43 pounds( we shoot the same arrow). I've never, ever cared about a giant cut Broadhead. I just want something that will fly like a field tip. These absolutely fly just like my field tips. A bow would need to be pretty far out of tune to get these heads not to fly like whatever your field tips do. They are deceptively accurate and lead to very short blood trails( I guess, we've killed four and only one made it out of site, but I heard him crash and walked right to him maybe 60 yards). I can't wait to try them in Missouri next week.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 PM
devolve's Avatar
devolve devolve is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: jasper, ga
iTrader: (7) Check/Add Feedback
Default

heck of a deer buddy. Im proud for you for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
dwhee87's Avatar
dwhee87 dwhee87 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Just ask NSA
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Nice deer!
__________________
No mans life, liberty or property is safe when the legislature is in session. Gideon J. Tucker, 1866
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
wks41's Avatar
wks41 wks41 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodstock, Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Nice buck Chris!!!!!
__________________
PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
deast1988's Avatar
deast1988 deast1988 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Social Circle
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

They worked as advertised for me 2 deer a Yote. No animals could carry them too far. An blood trails heavy An short.
__________________
Team, "WlfPck"
3 like minded folks having fun, killing tomorrows trophies today!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Noodle7 Noodle7 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Anyone know if Bi-Polar Broadheads are sold in any local stores yet? Im in Valdosta for the week for my lineman apprenticeship class
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-27-2017, 06:37 AM
satchmo's Avatar
satchmo satchmo is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jasper, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle7 View Post
Anyone know if Bi-Polar Broadheads are sold in any local stores yet? Im in Valdosta for the week for my lineman apprenticeship class
If you call them , they will ship them to you very quick. I live up in Jasper Ga( PICKENS county) and I get them in two days. But they can also tell you which places sell them over the counter.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 AM
mguthrie's Avatar
mguthrie mguthrie is online now
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outside
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle7 View Post
Anyone know if Bi-Polar Broadheads are sold in any local stores yet? Im in Valdosta for the week for my lineman apprenticeship class
Tims shop is in Dublin. You can get them straight from him. He told me that Oconee bait and tackle in east Dublin sells them also. His shop is on 441 north of town
__________________
Thinking is for those that don't know
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Noodle7 Noodle7 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Thanks I will just call em and order me some. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM
SWWTV's Avatar
SWWTV SWWTV is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dry Branch Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

RamCat best flying penetrating head I have used to date Big Hole in Big Hole out
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Garnto88's Avatar
Garnto88 Garnto88 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hawkinsville, Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

In 35 years of shooting heads bipolar is the best flying head I've used. Most versatile and leaves good blood . Steer clear of cheap over priced foreign made heads
__________________
"I haven't heard a thing all morning"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 AM
SWWTV's Avatar
SWWTV SWWTV is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dry Branch Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

99.9% Broadhead Companies Blades are made overseas unless it's just a prototype Head. American Cutting edge does the sourcing for a lot of Broadhead Companies.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM
mguthrie's Avatar
mguthrie mguthrie is online now
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Outside
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWWTV View Post
99.9% Broadhead Companies Blades are made overseas unless it's just a prototype Head. American Cutting edge does the sourcing for a lot of Broadhead Companies.
The bipolar are all American made.
__________________
Thinking is for those that don't know
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger