How is hunting in Blue Ridge, Fannin county area??????

BUCKFAT

How is hunting in Blue Ridge, Fannin county area?????? Used to sw ga hunting.

meatseeker

You will probably be frustrated. Much less deer, deer are smaller and tougher to hunt. You will have to learn to hunt differently to some extent. There are good deer(125") around but there alot more scarce than south ga. A 120 is a trophy in this area for sure. Turkey and bear are plentifull if you decide to hunt them.But anytime you hunt its enjoyable! Just dont expect to see what you did down there. If I get a chance I'll scan a few pics and post.

turkeyhunter835

BANNED !!!
You will probably be frustrated. Much less deer, deer are smaller and tougher to hunt. You will have to learn to hunt differently to some extent. There are good deer(125") around but there alot more scarce than south ga. A 120 is a trophy in this area for sure. Turkey and bear are plentifull if you decide to hunt them.But anytime you hunt its enjoyable! Just dont expect to see what you did down there. If I get a chance I'll scan a few pics and post.

x2 what he said

javery

Nothing like hunting in the mountains,nothing like dragging one out of the mountains either.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
If your looking for deer hunting your gonna be disappointed.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
there are some places where deer are, just have to find them!!!

I kill deer every year with no problem..... But I would hate to know that I would be starting over with no knowledge of the area. Then on top of that moving from one of the best areas of the state to the poorest part of the state for deer hunting. Hey nice avatar...... I can help you out with that if needed.....;):bounce:

godogs57

I saw where you posted earlier about moving to North GA and wanting to know about deer hunting prospects, etc. I hate to rain on your parade but I shook my head while reading your post. It will be like nothing you experienced here in SWGA. I lived in NW GA for ten+ years before moving down here to SWGA and I can tell you that the two are light years apart in numbers and quality. You want an honest assessment here it is: Numbers of deer seen might be close but probably will not be, depending upon where you hunt up there and what you have left down here. I've seen 50-125 deer on a hunt down here and frozen my caboose off up there for that one doe day on New Year's day to get my doe for the year. It's that different. Size of the deer? No comparison. We have Wisconsin genetics down here and had Texas and whatever the Good Lord put out up there. I remember spikes down here being larger than mature bucks up there. Of course that is a function of genetics and all the vittles we have down here.

Hunting methods. You know how we hunt down here....get on those fields and be prepared for the long shots in the afternoon....work the open woods in the morning. Up there you hunt whatever food source you can find and you also have to be on top of your game with respect to terrain and topography. You will have to learn how to hunt saddles, work the thermals, etc in the mountains, south facing ridges on the cold mornings, etc. That will be important for you to learn. Game sightings, overall health of the deer, births, etc will depend heavily on the acorn crop each year....Not so in SWGA. You will find that hunting up there will consist of longer hours on the stands up there. You know how deer movement generally ( I said "generally") slows about 8:30 AM -9:00 AM down here in the mornings? You still stay on the stand, but about then things warm up and the deer bed down...a lot of times its a "first light" deal and that's it. Not so up there...we would hunt till noon or 1 PM to catch deer after the sun warmed things up and the deer then started moving. When it got bone chilling cold up there (my coldest hunt up there was 15 below) you very very seldomly saw deer until 9 AM.

Something I noticed in my years up there was having to constantly deal with trespassers on any property I hunted...it was an "all the time thing" with me...down here in SWGA they don't put up with that and take a dim view of anyone caught. You go to jail where I live and hunt here. I've seen it done plenty of times!

Scenery: Go ahead and call me crazy but it is a toss up to me. Love the mountains for sure! But the farming communities down here with their big ol fields planted to peanuts, cotton, corn, etc are just as beautiful.

Other remarks: My old mountain hunting buddies that come down here each year to hunt can't get over how "easy" the hunting is down here and how much better the deer taste here. They come down here to kill their does and it won't be uncommon to send them back with a dozen or so in the coolers after a weekend because they taste so much better.

Do your research and pick a county with good numbers and genetics, use the GON articles about trophy potential and you will stand a better chance of finding a county that will suit you.

Best of luck and PM me if you have any questions.

DMH

Their use to be no doe days during rifle season until a couple years ago, so if it had any size antlers it was shot which I believe really hurt the gene pull up their. know they are starting to get bigger but their are few. I finally this year got one potential but their is no type of qdma up their every one hunts for meat i believe.