Best AR-15

Sportsman83

I've been looking at getting an AR-15 but i am having a little trouble finding out which brand is best. Can anyone here give some input? Thanks:huh:

Wiskey_33

The "best" at what? It all depends on what you intend on doing with the rifle.

Wiskey_33

a mix of hunting and competition the best "all around" u could say

I own a Sabre Defence, which I like very much, but I'm sure you could attain the same results with a Bushmaster or the likes.

However, all parts are not created equal. Some will outlast others.

Just depends on how much you want to spend.

kry226

For the money, and assuming a stock configuration, I would go with LMT. Top tier and only a couple hundred more than your basic BM/DPMS. Colt and Noveske would a few hundred more. If you're going to be decking it out with a rail, VFG, etc., I'd go with Daniel Defense.

StikR

Get a Colt 6920 and don't look back. They're about $1300-1400 right now. For a few hundred less look at RRA, but they aren't the same as a Colt

NWS

Colt 6920 all the way!!!

Another one that is close is the Smith & Wesson M&P15. These are top quality AR's!!!!!!!

SpeedyR

afer a lot of research, I ended up with an LMT MRP CQB (say that 5 times fast) that I like for a variety of reasons. mainly the caliber interchangability (have 5.56 and 6.8 barrels so far). plus if i want to go piston that's an easy upgrade to the standard DI rifle.

Noveske is always ranked very high but i've not played with one, so I can't comment. I also like the Daniel Defense M4, and hard to go wrong with a Colt. I saw hundreds of Colts at Clydes Armory in Athens when I was up there last week. literally.

Tackleberry

An excellent question. Budget has a lot to do with it as well. From a guy who has eighteen ARs, I have a lot invested into what I own. I have several different makes and models. They include Colt, LMT, Sabre Defence, CMMG, Del-Ton, LaRue, KAC, and a few others. About half of mine are builds. Some refer to them as Frankenguns. They are assembled with parts from various manufacturers. For example; LMT upper w/ LCW (LMT) lower, CMMG upper w/ LMT lower, CMMG upper w/ Centermass T.C. lower, Model 1 Sales upper w/ Essential Arms lower, and others. The "best" is what you deem is important to you. I would not go too far and say that one brand is best over another. There are several fantastic ARs. It just depends on what you want and expect for the money. I have an AR that I built for less than $600 that funtions perfectly. I also have an AR (.308) that cost over $7,000 that funtions perfectly. I have several in between that do the same thing. My Del-Ton M4 is just as solid as my Colt LE6920 M4 and performs just as well. The fit and finish on all my ARs are all on par with each other. For me, I refuse to buy inferior equipment. I make careful decisions on every weapon I buy or build. If you could see my collection, you would see that. Again, as to the "best", that decision is up to you.

bigboye

I think this is a good quote. I have an AR that cost me about $2K to build and one that I build for $600. I do own a LMT and it my go to HD rifle. Keep in mind that some of the best rifles I have seen, were not made by parts from one company.

Even Noveske uppers have used other rail system. My first was a Stag Arms complete rifle. It's now a Stag lower an LMT 10.5" upper.

I would set a price range first.

Rainmaker

When you ask which one is "best" I'm assuming you are referring to brand.

There is no such animal. There are great ar's, and there are crappy ar's.

Most of the store bought brands are good enough i.e. dpms, BM, RRA, etc.

The uppers and lowers are made by a few companies for everyone except the uppers and lowers that are cnc machined from a solid billet of aluminum.

The most important question is: "Am I buying an AR that will fit me as a person (somatotype), and will it fill the role I need it for?"

The most important parts of the AR are: barrel, trigger assembly, and BCG AND how they are all assembled.

Just make sure you get one that is assembled correctly with quality parts.

All the big names make great ar's but don't forget: Larue, JP Enterprises, and Sun Devil.

For 99.9% of the shooting sports and hunting enthusiasts a dpms, bushmaster, stag, rra will do.

BTW, smith and wesson ar's are no better than the rest - it's the name.

Mingo

Banned
ARs

From what ive seen lately Daniel Defense is very good. They are mfg in Black Creek, GA. Also LMT & Doublestar is good. Colt is nice of course, make sure you get COLT DEFENSE & not COLT COMMERCIAL for a military style rifle. Get a Daewoo gas-piston rifle, my two Daewoos are more accurate at closer range than an Armalite National Match & a Bushy HBAR that I had before. If you get any AR you must get a gas ring conversion like McFarland if your gonna give it rough or extensive use. :cool:

Dyingtime

Out of the Box

I would either go with a Colt 6920 or a SW MP15. They are among two of the best.

BookHound

If you get any AR you must get a gas ring conversion like McFarland if your gonna give it rough or extensive use.

Wow! That's good info to know right there. I'll go tell my select-fire guns for sure. I wonder how I ever got better than 20K rounds through my favorite 11.5" barrel select-fire beast without those McFarland rings. :)

Here she is not running worth a darn:
markWithKiserSight3%20(Medium).jpg

Appreciate the tip. :cheers:

Mark

Mingo

Banned
Rings

Not a must for everyone, but some folks are using it.http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003smallarms/john.ppt#21

Most seem to be shying away from the DI & gas ring system altogether in favor of SCAR & POF type gas piston systems which seems to be a good idea all-in-all, especially for wet & dirty guerilla warfare.

Your Welcome :cheers:

Mingo