Sub Leasing

humdandy

Banned
I have seen more and more folks lease a property and then sub lease different species. Example: I lease a property for deer and lease the turkey rights to somebody else.

How do you get around this with your management company or paper company?

I have two leases and they both are very clear about sub leasing.....it is against their policy and if caught they will terminate your lease.

PappyHoel

It's shady

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have seen it done this way............

The lease holder shows the alternate game hunting people as regular members on the main lease. That satisfies the lessor and the insurance company. There likely may not be an actual sub lease agreement just a cash exchange.

transfixer

We've had people inquire about leasing our property just for turkey, or just for coon hunting in the past, and we chose not to go that route, but we have one member that joined the club specifically to turkey hunt, he might have deer hunted once in 3 yrs, so I guess its just a different way of doing the same thing, as long as you aren't drawing up any sort of contract, and you count them as members of the club, then you aren't breaking the rules of the lease.
I would think that's the only realistic way of doing it without risking losing your lease.

GottaGetOutdoors

Example of subleasing: Let's say Droptine Hunt Club leases all hunting rights on 1,000 acres for $10,000 from Company X. Droptine is the lessee on the lease contract. However, Droptine then turns around and leases it to Buckville Hunt Club for $15,000. This is strictly prohibited on every hunting lease contract I've seen.

Example of membership by-species: Droptine Hunt Club leases all hunting rights on 1,000 acres for $10,000 from Company X. Droptine accepts four deer-only members at $2,000 and one turkey-only member at $2,000 each for a total of $10K. All are members of Droptine Hunt Club. Some hunt only deer. One hunts only turkey. No subleasing involved. Not my cup of tea but I know of several leases operate that way.

misterpink

$x to hunt deer
$x to hunt turkey
$x to hunt swine
$x to hunt small game
$x to camp
$x all inclusive

I see no problem with a "tiered" membership plan. Everybody has to be a member, everybody agrees to the rules. Just everybody pays based on the options they choose. Policing it may be near impossible though.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I only have members in my club. A few have tried to say I want this section to my self for so much and I do what I want.
Wrong.
I may have hog members only or what ever but they are all members of the club.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Example of subleasing: Let's say Droptine Hunt Club leases all hunting rights on 1,000 acres for $10,000 from Company X. Droptine is the lessee on the lease contract. However, Droptine then turns around and leases it to Buckville Hunt Club for $15,000. This is strictly prohibited on every hunting lease contract I've seen.

The president of Buckville Hunt club must be from Florida and have lots of extra money......::ke::stir:

justus3131

Subleasing.

I have seen more and more folks lease a property and then sub lease different species. Example: I lease a property for deer and lease the turkey rights to somebody else.

How do you get around this with your management company or paper company?

I have two leases and they both are very clear about sub leasing.....it is against their policy and if caught they will terminate your lease.

By law, if your lease is silent on subleasing, you can sublease. If there are provisions about subleasing, those terms control. Very simple.

grouper throat

Example of membership by-species: Droptine Hunt Club leases all hunting rights on 1,000 acres for $10,000 from Company X. Droptine accepts four deer-only members at $2,000 and one turkey-only member at $2,000 each for a total of $10K. All are members of Droptine Hunt Club. Some hunt only deer. One hunts only turkey. No subleasing involved. Not my cup of tea but I know of several leases operate that way.

Prohibited but tolerated at different companies. It's all about who you know and if the land is harder for the timber company to lease. They'd rather take 90% than it go unleased. Probably not a problem in GA though.

humdandy

Banned
By law, if your lease is silent on subleasing, you can sublease. If there are provisions about subleasing, those terms control. Very simple.

Bet if the company finds out they will pull the lease.

I know several folks who lease all hunting rights and then sell deer and turkey to separate parties and make some serious money off them.....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bet if the company finds out they will pull the lease.

I know several folks who lease all hunting rights and then sell deer and turkey to separate parties and make some serious money off them.....

But most of these folks don't actually lease those small game rights to the other folks. The small game folks just pay money and are signed on as a lease member.

The real loser in a situation like that is the deer member who also hunts rabbit, turkey, etc.

humdandy

Banned
But most of these folks don't actually lease those small game rights to the other folks. The small game folks just pay money and are signed on as a lease member.

The real loser in a situation like that is the deer member who also hunts rabbit, turkey, etc.

I hunt all of it.:cheers:

We have the added benefit of fishing and gator hunting as well.

I'm not sure how other timber management co. operate, but I know each member must sign the contract and are made aware of the cost of the lease and rules.