Thinking of getting a cow butchered

Steven Farr

I am contemplating getting a steer butchered. I have found a place to buy the steer and a place to do the butchering. All I will have to do is pick it up and pay for it. Now for the questions?

What cuts of meat should I expect to get?

How much meat am I going to get off of a 600lb live weight steer?

I just don't want to wind up with 6 steaks and 100lbs of ground beef.lol

Any help is appreciated.

Sloane Ranger

Why not just butcher it yourself.
It's just like a huge deer. That way you know you are getting everything that you're supposed to get.

Steven Farr

I don't have the equipment to finish the job. I can shoot it and skin it but then I would be stuck.

Steven Farr

I plan on telling them "give me as many steaks as possible and then give me the rest in roasts and ground."

600 lbs. is the weight of the steers that I have the opportunity to buy so it is what it is. All I have to do is pick up the finished product.

QuakerBoy

do not ask for extra ground meat under ANY circumstances...even with a good butcher job...you get a good bit

patchestc

i would ask for no round steak. i would rather have ground round,
than a tough dry round steak.

QTurn

If you don't mind me asking, what is your cost per pound going to average out to as? I'd like to do this myself on day.

4wheeling4life

My family kills a beef every year. We try to grow our steer out to about 1000lbs. That is about average for killing. We ask for steaks, best roasts, cubed steak and the rest in ground beef. Some people like beef ribs, briskets and other cuts, But in the end just think about what you and your family like and will eat. Since you are paying for it.

bull0ne

Banned
I am contemplating getting a steer butchered. I have found a place to buy the steer and a place to do the butchering. All I will have to do is pick it up and pay for it. Now for the questions?

What cuts of meat should I expect to get?

How much meat am I going to get off of a 600lb live weight steer?

I just don't want to wind up with 6 steaks and 100lbs of ground beef.lol

Any help is appreciated.

You better not get your own cow butchered then...............because you won't be far away from your own prediction. :bounce:

One needs a beef type breed of yearling to butcher that has been fed in ''feedout lot'' style for a month or more before butchering. Cord fed beef has the needed marbling in the meat to make the non-ground cuts of beef more flavorful and tender.

Even if you go with the minimum amount of ground, it will still mean about 50 percent of what you get will be ground beef. If the meat turns out to be of poor quality you're just stuck with a whole bunch of it at one time.

I know many folks who grow cattle and they sell their yearlings at the sale to be sent to feed out lots out west...........where cheap corn is as common as rocks on the ground here.

These same people go to the store and pick-n-choose the cuts of beef they want that are on sale and come out way ahead of the game.

Prolly not what you were looking to hear...........but it's the way it shakes out.:huh:

leroy

we eat our own. usually around 1000-1200 pounds. What has this 600# steer been eating is he coming off of feed or pasture make sure it is feed. If we do not get one straight from the feed lot we usually feed out 30 days before slaughter.

Arrow3

BBQ at Steven's house!!! :D