Happy Easter

Israel

BANNED
When did you choose to write the word "What"? Did you choose it before the thought arose in your consciousness? How could that be possible? All the research point to a fact that thoughts appear before we're conscious of them. Where did they come from? If they came from our subconscious, where did our subconscious get them? It's interesting to observe how thoughts appear in consciousness. It seems impossible to determine where they're coming from.

This causes us to entertain "What is a man...to himself?"

Madman

Wanna go with Webster or OED?

Going to have to go deeper than either of those. Perhaps the Arminian definition, or Locke. Sam Harris has what he believes is free will, which seems to lean toward free agent.

I like Jonathon Edwards view myself.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
God seems to favor the Free Will of himself and other Evil Doers over the Free Will of their victims.

WaltL1

God seems to favor the Free Will of himself and other Evil Doers over the Free Will of their victims.
"I grant you the Free Will to choose as you please but if you don't choose what I say, I roast you".

Gee Thanks :bounce:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"I grant you the Free Will to choose as you please but if you don't choose what I say, I roast you".

Free Will is an excuse by believers so they can rationalize a non existent or at best a non caring god.

Last edited:

Madman

When did you choose to write the word "What"? Did you choose it before the thought arose in your consciousness? How could that be possible? All the research point to a fact that thoughts appear before we're conscious of them. Where did they come from? If they came from our subconscious, where did our subconscious get them? It's interesting to observe how thoughts appear in consciousness. It seems impossible to determine where they're coming from.

There appears to evidence that they do originate in our subconscious. Perhaps that is where experiences, available languages, words, directions, etc. are stored. When the need arises that code is sent to the brain for processing.

As in writing a sentence "what" is the next word I should use? So when writing a sentence and all the available words are shown the subconscious knows not to pull from my experience of white water canoeing, unless that is the topic on which I am writing.

No effect ever happens without a cause.

I believe I have strayed from free will.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That causes YOU to entertain that question. It seems almost anything causes you to entertain that question.

There is no meaningful conversation with him. These threads are just a platform for him to blog his thoughts. He asks himself questions and answers them. Rarely either having anything to do with the conversation at hand.
You saw where the other thread went that he offered to participate in with you.

ambush80

There appears to evidence that they do originate in our subconscious. Perhaps that is where experiences, available languages, words, directions, etc. are stored. When the need arises that code is sent to the brain for processing.

As in writing a sentence "what" is the next word I should use? So when writing a sentence and all the available words are shown the subconscious knows not to pull from my experience of white water canoeing, unless that is the topic on which I am writing.

No effect ever happens without a cause.

I believe I have strayed from free will.

I don't think so. As Sam said "If we can't find freewill here then we can't find it anywhere". You're actually agreeing with him that the subconscious thoughts come from an infinite regression of events that have culminated in the "shape" of your mind. Not allot of freewill there.

ambush80

There is no meaningful conversation with him. These threads are just a platform for him to blog his thoughts. He asks himself questions and answers them. Rarely either having anything to do with the conversation at hand.
You saw where the other thread went that he offered to participate in with you.

I guess I'm not feeling very patient today. I took it as a bit of a sleight that his answer was so off the topic of my question, as if my question was meaningless.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I guess I'm not feeling very patient today. I took it as a bit of a sleight that his answer was so off the topic of my question, as if my question was meaningless.
It's not that your questions are meaningless, it is that he has no factual answer for them so it is easier to completely bypass them and insert whatever that is on his mind at the time.
"You may ask yourself.."
"Each of us may be thinking.."
"This begs the question.."

Madman

I don't think so. As Sam said "If we can't find freewill here then we can't find it anywhere". You're actually agreeing with him that the subconscious thoughts come from an infinite regression of events that have culminated in the "shape" of your mind. Not allot of freewill there.

I don't believe I am agreeing, but then again I did not watch the entire clip.

He says we did not say Cairo because it may not have been in our "database". I say we will those things that cause us the least pain.

I said the town I was located in at the time the question occurred. Was it at the top of my subconscious?

As I said, the definition of free will is not as simple as Webster may lead you to believe. Many other terms must be agreed on before we would have the ability to proceed.

For instance, I have the freewill to (can) sit in any chair when I enter a room. We need to now define can:

Can only encompasses 'available chairs'. My will is not as free as I think.

Israel

BANNED
It's not that your questions are meaningless, it is that he has no factual answer for them so it is easier to completely bypass them and insert whatever that is on his mind at the time.
"You may ask yourself.."
"Each of us may be thinking.."
"This begs the question.."

red neck richie

There has to be laws in every society to keep the peace Walt. I am sure the Kingdom of Heaven is no different. If you don't want to get roasted don't do anything to get roasted. But you do have that choice.

ambush80

I don't believe I am agreeing, but then again I did not watch the entire clip.

He says we did not say Cairo because it may not have been in our "database". I say we will those things that cause us the least pain.

I said the town I was located in at the time the question occurred. Was it at the top of my subconscious?

As I said, the definition of free will is not as simple as Webster may lead you to believe. Many other terms must be agreed on before we would have the ability to proceed.

For instance, I have the freewill to (can) sit in any chair when I enter a room. We need to now define can:

Can only encompasses 'available chairs'. My will is not as free as I think.

You should hear his argument. It's engaging (I think) and his presentation goes by quickly.

Israel

BANNED

Sorry if it appears I sleighted you.

But tell me...what in this:

is so alien to the question of a man barely knowing his own self as to say
It seems impossible to determine where they're coming from.

"what is a man to himself?" Is he impossible to know...to himself? What does he see? 5% 3? 89?...or really nothing?

ambush80

Sorry if it appears I sleighted you.

But tell me...what in this:

is so alien to the question of a man barely knowing his own self as to say

"what is a man to himself?" Is he impossible to know...to himself? What does he see? 5% 3? 89?...or really nothing?

Ok. I'll grant that what you explore is tangential (oh boy, is it ever) to the discussion of freewill.

I see where you might be going, only because I'm familiar with the way you develop conversation, but regular folk don't usually wander off into the thicket like that when discussing a specific topic.

Last edited:

WaltL1

There has to be laws in every society to keep the peace Walt. I am sure the Kingdom of Heaven is no different. If you don't want to get roasted don't do anything to get roasted. But you do have that choice.
Here's what you are missing -
The Kingdom of Heaven would still be peaceful if you just weren't allowed in based on your choice.

So what does the roasting accomplish?

red neck richie

Here's what you are missing -
The Kingdom of Heaven would still be peaceful if you just weren't allowed in based on your choice.

So what does the roasting accomplish?

How do you figure? Please enlighten me how it would be peaceful. Rapist, murderers, thieves with no repentance and change or belief there is no forgiveness there is no entrance.

ambush80

You have to keep the peace in the Kingdom of Heaven.....

Listen to yourself.

Are there unisex bathrooms in the Kingdom of Heaven? What else do you know about the Kingdom of Heaven? Does the top water bite last all day, forever? Is there mud butt? Do you wear underwear under the robe? Do your wings molt? Does this harp make my butt look big? Do all the scratch offs pay? Can I have all the ice cream I want? Will they tell me who shot JFK?