Help ID this oak...please

zaraspook04

I have several volunteer oaks growing from about 2 ft to about 8 feet (pictured). I've tried using several things to id the oaks, but I'm just not for sure. I want to positively id the oaks so that I can decide to let them grow or take them out as I am going to use the area they are growing in to plant oaks and fruit trees for deer.

The oak in the picture is 8-9 feet tall. I noticed this weekend that it has some acorns already started.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 688

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 629

Elkbane

My guess after keying it out is Swamp Post Oak.

Sometimes the juvenile leaves have odd shapes and can fool you.

Elkbane

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If guess post oak also , if it's only 8-9 ft already with acorns I don't think it's a white oak

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Might be sand post oak (Quercus margaretta.) As westcobbdog said, oaks are prone to hybridizing too. In many years of doing tree inventories, I've found a lot that won't key out to a single species.

PappyHoel

across the river

Are you near a residential area? It looks like something from overseas. Has the look of a Durmast oak or Japanese Emperor oak leaf, but the chances of either of those showing up in the middle of the woods I would think are pretty slim.

Davexx1

If they are already producing acorns, let them grow and watch to see if the deer like them before deciding whether to remove them or not.

Forest Grump

If they are already producing acorns, let them grow and watch to see if the deer like them before deciding whether to remove them or not.

Agreed.

If they are producing acorns that early, you not only need to keep it, you need to propagate it. That is rivaling a dwarf chestnut oak in terms of early acorn production. Whatever 'tis, (likely a hybrid by the leaf), it's producing acorns at an extremely young age. Hard to beat that if you are growing trees to feed wildlife. Unless they are overcups, I'd keep that one & look after it.

zaraspook04

Thanks for the insight and help. My id was a post oak, as some of you have suggested. However, as Elkbane made mention, young trees can fool you; hence, me asking for advice from the great knowledge base here!!!!!
Across the river...No the farm is definitely not close to a residential area. The farm has been in my family since the early 40's and most definitely rural (wouldn't have it any other way).
Davexx1 and ForestGrump...I will let them grow for now. I will definitely keep an eye on the one with acorns and hopefully be able to get a more accurate id.
I will also take a few more pictures, including the bark. I am also going to put fencing around each tree so the deer do not tear them up!!!
Forest Grump...I have propagated several things. However, you taught me something. I never knew you could propagate an oak...
I will certainly try!!!
I'll update this thread as the year progresses and the acorns continue to develop.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
agree, top of leaf looks just like a black or blackjack oak leaf.

Except that blackjack oaks are part of the red oak group, and have bristles/spines on the tips of the lobes. This one looks to be in the white oak group.

southernman13

Oak

Except that blackjack oaks are part of the red oak group, and have bristles/spines on the tips of the lobes. This one looks to be in the white oak group.

This ^ black jack or jack oaks I know of have a very distinct pointe leaf. Really one of the coolest looking leaves imho and the white oak family jus the opposite. I to would like to see the bark. I call it a post oaks as well. I have quite a few on my property very similar but most are very large I'll have to look with the binocs and see if they have any meat on em yet.

zaraspook04

Update: more pictures as requested

Here are some updated pictures as some have requested. As the few acorns mature, I will continue to update with pictures.
The last picture is where the oaks are growing. The oak beside my tractor is the one that has a few acorns already.

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg