Tithing

hhcryan

So I’m sitting hear tonight about to order a new box call that cost $150 and God speaks to me. He tells me you haven’t even been tithing in church. Makes me think, I’ve read in my daily quiet time many times that you can buy material things to make you happy and they never will. Only a closer walk with God will. Never thought this applied to me but looking at all the hunting stuff I have I think it does now. Not saying it’s wrong to buy hunting stuff but I’m going to start trying to be more content with what I have and make sure my tithing in church comes first.

In Christianity, some interpretations of Biblical teachings conclude that although tithing was practiced extensively in the Old Testament, it was never practiced or taught within the first-century Church. Instead, the New Testament scriptures are seen as teaching the concept of "freewill offerings"

If you want to give?.....then give.

The pastor of my church has never once given a single sermon on Tithing, not one.

GunnSmokeer

From what I've read, Bobby's right, but my take on the New Testament giving is that it's supposed to be HUGE, not just the "tithing" of 10% of your gross income.
(Actually, if you add up all the other taxes and fees associated with being a Jew under the Law and living in a theocracy, it added up to a lot more than 10% anyway. Probably totaled 30% of your income over the entire year.)

What I want to know is, how much of Jesus' teachings to the small group of Apostles was meant to be followed, in the same way to the same degree, by all the other converts to Christianity. Were the masses supposed to give up everything (money, property, even family and friends) the way the apostles did?

Remember the story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5:4 -- they agreed to sell their land and give the money to the church to be shared and used for the benefit of the needy, but they only gave some of the money, and kept some. And they lied about it. For this, God killed them on the spot.

The early church of the N.T. seemed to place a huge importance on giving in great quantities.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
go sell all you have

seems to me that God owns it all anyway.

Who am I to complain about only getting to use 90%