New Truck

thumper523

I'm looking to get a new 4x4 Crew Cab truck for everyday driving and sometimes to get through the woods. I currently have a GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 gas burner and I get about 13 mpg. I really only pull a loaded trailer, max 5000 lbs, maybe a dozen times a year and my mule when I go to the club. I'm looking for feedback on mileage and reliability as I can average sometimes 50k a year depending on my travel schedule. Must be gas.

mattuga

Banned
To my knowledge the most reliable truck on the market gets the lowest gas mileage, the Tundra. I just bought a 2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 and it loves gas. It only had 52k miles on it but is riding great. I upgraded from a Honda Ridgeline that I will dearly miss, it was a great machine but didn't do well with bigger loads. It is a V6 but you only get upper teens MPG because it is AWD. If you are talking reliability I'd go with one of those but they aren't going to impress with MPG.

I'll be paying attention to what others say as well as I'm not sure I can take the low MPG long term. Since you use it a lot for work if you can find a way to use Section 179 of our wonderful tax code, do it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My Ford F150 is 2WD, so it really doesn't count I guess, but over 112,000 miles pulling boats, campers, UTV and just generally running the interstates at 75mph, it has averaged 19.4mpg since the day it was new. Unloaded on long trips at a sane speed of 68 to 70 mph, it will get 22mpg.

red neck richie

Wow 50k a year. That's a lot of miles you will have to by a new truck every four of five years. You might want to look at a Kenworth. Thats the only motor I know of that you can put that kind of miles on.

Last edited:

tree cutter 08

Our tundra has been good so far with 120k on the clock. Brakes few miles ago and a battery is all that's been done. I hooked up about 9k lb to it a few months ago and was impressed at how good it pulled it since usually just pulled boat or camper which tops out at 5k. Just don't worry about the gas, its a truck.

drahthaar

I have a 2016 Colorado 4 door with the diesel engine that gets 22mpg, with lots of idle time in that number. 57k miles on it so far- the stock front struts are made of glass but the rest of the truck has been perfect.

95g atl

Opinions vary on this subject, but the Tundra is extremely reliable and holds its value well. MPG, yup....not great....I have heard upper teens on the highway.

The 2.7 liter ecoboost 4x4 is said to get 24 or so MPG on the highway and great power. Heard both good and bad on reliability.
The chevy 5.3 is slightly lower mpg but a very proven engine to last 300k miles if maintained.
The Ram....no comment, i'd pass on this one.

Mid size trucks will struggle a little bit with 5,000 lbs even if you are only doing it once a month. Opinions vary again, some say that "my midsize is rated at 5000-6500 lbs to tow". Yeah, it may be rated at that, but it is definitely not stable and safe as a true 1/2 ton truck towing that load.

thumper523

Hwy Miles

Wow 50k a year. That's a lot of miles you will have to by a new truck every four of five years. You might want to look at a Kenworth. Thats the only motor I know of that you can put that kind of miles on.

My GMC is 7 years old, It's got 362K on it now and and never had any engine work except ONE tune up, it's the 6.0 L gas. I have replaced the transmission as I believe it has the wrong one in it, rebuilt rearend at 280K. Battery and serpentine belt once. Original rear brakes too. I get on average 100K on Michelin A/T 2's I've just decided I don't need a tank anymore.

doesplitter

I bought a ram 1500 2 yrs ago. It has 60k miles on it now. Avg 21 mpg and had no issues.

meatseeker

Why do you need a crew cab 4x4 to drive 40k a year on the road. Why not keep your current truck for the weekend so to speak and to pull with and get something else for a commute vehicle. Just a thought.

95g atl

My GMC is 7 years old, It's got 362K on it now and and never had any engine work except ONE tune up, it's the 6.0 L gas. I have replaced the transmission as I believe it has the wrong one in it, rebuilt rearend at 280K. Battery and serpentine belt once. Original rear brakes too. I get on average 100K on Michelin A/T 2's I've just decided I don't need a tank anymore.

I'd keep what you have. Resale on that with 362k miles is not going to be great.

My Tahoe hit 200,000 this weekend. Can't beat them LS engines (5.3 and 6.0).

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Here's my .02
My last truck was a '06 chev silverado 5.3 4x4. Drove it 9 yrs traded it in 2015. It had 554K on the odometer. Got 20-22 mpg.
My 2015 is a GMC Sierra -basically the same truck-quad cab,4x4, etc. It will be 3 yrs old in April and rolled 190K last week. I drive A LOT!!! 95% road miles but some trailer hauling.
It's hard IMO to beat the GM products for gas mileage as well as comfort. People tell me all the time to buy a car for work that gets 30-40 mpg. My response-- I haul things for work on occasion but the biggest reason is comfort. After driving 250-450 miles a day, I'm in a lot better mood after driving my truck then I would be driving a Prius.
BTW the GMC is just as good on mileage as my '06 was.

lonewolf247

I think the GMC/Chevy 6.0 gas in the 2500HD is the best built gas engine in the HD market. However, with the miles you put on your vehicle, if fuel mileage is more important, you might consider a 1500 model with the 5.3 engine.

If your trailer is 5000 lbs or less, and you only pull a few times a year, I think you'd be ok with the 1/2 ton model. If your trailer were heavier, and you towed more, I'd say otherwise, but you spend so much time on the road, I think the 1500, is a better fit. It will ride much better too.

95g atl

I think the GMC/Chevy 6.0 gas in the 2500HD is the best built gas engine in the HD market. However, with the miles you put on your vehicle, if fuel mileage is more important, you might consider a 1500 model with the 5.3 engine.

If your trailer is 5000 lbs or less, and you only pull a few times a year, I think you'd be ok with the 1/2 ton model. If your trailer were heavier, and you towed more, I'd say otherwise, but you spend so much time on the road, I think the 1500, is a better fit. It will ride much better too.
agreed

chevypro1

Thumper, you want to sell the GMC? If so, send pictures and info. PM me if interested in selling