jugs on clark hill

lampern

I looked in the NC regulations (for Lake Chatuge) and NC has the same limits on bass, catfish, walleye and crappie as GA does on Lake Chatuge but NC doesn't consider catfish game fish so you can bow fish them on the NC portion of Chatuge unlike the GA portion.

However GA has a limit on bream (50 fish) where NC has none.

No idea if chain pickerel or musky are in Chatuge.

red neck richie

Except GA and SC agreed to the same limits on striped bass and black bass.

The limits on bass are the same between the states. As said other species of fish may not have the same limits but I'm guessing with all the tournaments , bass tourney fishermen probably wanted the same limits lake wide and lobbied and got them.

For years the GA side had/has a size limit on largemouth, SC never did until recently.

Not so lampy. The Georgia Law for striped bass, Hybrid bass and white bass is 15 per day with only 2 being over 22 inches. The Georgia, South Carolina agreement is 10 fish per day with only 3 being over 26 inches. Convoluted government at its best. It depends on which lake your at. Very hard to keep up with. They are just fund raising if you ask me. Lake Russell and further down the Savannah river have a 2 fish limit. Who can keep up with all these regulations? Goobermint at its best.

lampern

Actually GA and SC have reciprocal agreements for striped bass, white bass and hybrids on the Savannah River.

Striped bass or hybrid bass or combination
Lakes Hartwell and Clarks Hill 10 fish only 3 may be over 26 inches- lake wide

Striped bass or hybrid bass or combination
Lake Russell 2 only 1 may be over 34 inches lake wide

Striped bass, hybrid bass, white bass or combination Savannah River downstream of Clarks Hill dam 2 (fish) 27-inch minimum length limit

White bass
All border waters covered except for Savannah River downstream of Clarks Hill dam (see above for size limit) 10 (fish) no size limit

The striper, hybrid striper and white bass limits above apply to both the GA and SC portions of the water bodies mentioned.

What folks are confused about are fish species and fishing methods that vary between the states (like jug fishing for channel catfish)

Last edited:

red neck richie

Actually GA and SC have reciprocal agreements for striped bass, white bass and hybrids on the Savannah River.

Correct but every where else in Georgia it is a 15 fish limit with only 2 over 22 inches. Its not the same statewide.

The striper, hybrid striper and white bass limits above apply to both the GA and SC portions of the water bodies mentioned.

What folks are confused about are fish species and fishing methods that vary between the states (like jug fishing for channel catfish)
Correct but there is a 15 fish limit with only 2 being over 22 inches in the rest of the state. Which can make for confusion.

lampern

Correct but there is a 15 fish limit with only 2 being over 22 inches in the rest of the state. Which can make for confusion.

Also many rivers have a 22 inch size limit for stripers and hybrid stripers in regulations digest

But at least GA and SC were able to agree on striper limits.

Now they just need to agree on jug fishing regulations and perch, crappie and pickerel limits.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

deermaster13

I think the hill been paying off on fresh cut bait. Tried Russell last weekend and it was slow. Going again this weekend.

JackSprat

Not to go off topic, but can you leave a trot line unattended around your parts?

In GA, yes.

They are supposed to have your name on it, but the next one I see that does will be the first.

They are a major pain in the rear, especially up a river, where you snag them with your motor, line - not unusual to find several turtle eaten carcasses on the line.

lampern

Got an email from the state of Ga (nothing from SC yet) about making any fishing changes to border lakes would be and is too time consuming and expensive for either state. And it provide no real management benefits

So no changes to jug laws or crappie limits.

The mtn man

I looked in the NC regulations (for Lake Chatuge) and NC has the same limits on bass, catfish, walleye and crappie as GA does on Lake Chatuge but NC doesn't consider catfish game fish so you can bow fish them on the NC portion of Chatuge unlike the GA portion.

However GA has a limit on bream (50 fish) where NC has none.

No idea if chain pickerel or musky are in Chatuge.

The black bass limit was just recently changed on the nc side of chatuge, it was 5 until I guess two years ago, the hybrid bass limit I believe is different between the two states.

Teh Wicked

Here it is real simple for you...If your vehicle is parked in GA, you fall under the GA laws. Its clear and simple, any DNR officer will tell you the same thing. No judge in the country would be able to enforce out of state laws.

lampern

Not if you get checked on the water.

But anyway neither state wants to go through the hassle of standardizing crappie and jug fishing limits.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

So tired of picking up sloppy "juggers" junk from every cove at Oconee. Wish it was illegal....and I'm the last one to want more laws...but as someone who loves this lake more than most, I'm tired of the irresponsible jug trash.

Teh Wicked

Yup. Truth!

Not truth, I have been fishing my whole life and several of those years was commercial fishing. Trust me, another state cannot enforce their laws when you clearly entered the water from another state. The ONLY time this would be enforceable would be on a coastal violation, where a boater leaves in one state, crosses the state waters and then returns back to the original state where the catch is illegal, this will get you a big ticket. This also kind of applies to State vs Federal waters. In the Gulf of Mexico the state waters extend nine miles off shore, and the Federal extend out to 200. So you can legally go into Federal waters and limit out on species of fish that are currently illegal to harvest in state waters, the key to this is not stopping in state waters again till you get back to the ramp or house. I have been stopped and checked by the DNR so many times its silly.

SC DNR cannot enforce SC state law on someone who obviously launched and recovered in GA. Now if you go and catch an illegal bag limit and then go on shore in SC, be prepared for some butt pain.