Air boat

Timbo85

Does anybody or has anybody run air boats on the river , I never see any around here and just wondering if anybody has any experience on how they handle in running water any tips or advice

Tarpfisher

i saw one on lake weiss for the first time a few weeks ago. you could hear it coming from a longs ways.

The problem i see is without a keel they will just want to spin around.

61BelAir

I used to see several on the Oconee River below Sinclair, but not that often the last few years. There are still a few around though.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
I saw one on Hartwell a few years ago, they are loud

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There was a guy used to run one on a couple lakes around here. I think a bunch of people about threatened to kill him, that was the loudest machine I've ever heard in my life.

1gr8bldr

A guy who lives near me always had air boats in his yard. I stopped to talk with him one day. He was getting to the age that he likely was not going out again. He was excited to tell me about his hobby. I asked how did he get that dent up front. He said boat dock and no reverse. It was super interesting to look at. I asked about the winch on the front wondering why it was not on the trailer. He said it was to get unstuck. Most interesting was the sprayer set up on the front. Looked like what you would see on a yard maintenance machine for spraying roundup. About a 5 ft boom. LOL, he said it was for spraying joy dishwashing detergent to make it slicker for going through marshes

MattKelley

When I lived in Texas, most people I saw on the Red River ran airboats. Pretty awesome to just watch them run right over long sand bars. Agreed with the loud part although the jets many run now are hardly quiet.

southernman13

I have one and have built many. Haven’t run it here in Ga. it’s not an airboat friendly place. Mine is air craft powered. It’s not as loud as the automotive powered boats. Really shouldn’t matter though. Airboat’s should have as much right to the waterways as anyone else. I know it doesn’t work that way but it should. And no not having a keel won’t make it spin in circles. I have other boats as well but have enjoyed my Airboat’s probably the most. Much more fun in central Florida area where there’s lots of room to run!!

Lukikus2

A guy who lives near me always had air boats in his yard. I stopped to talk with him one day. He was getting to the age that he likely was not going out again. He was excited to tell me about his hobby. I asked how did he get that dent up front. He said boat dock and no reverse. It was super interesting to look at. I asked about the winch on the front wondering why it was not on the trailer. He said it was to get unstuck. Most interesting was the sprayer set up on the front. Looked like what you would see on a yard maintenance machine for spraying roundup. About a 5 ft boom. LOL, he said it was for spraying joy dishwashing detergent to make it slicker for going through marshes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Timbo85

10 4 thanks for all the advice, I know they are loud those who havnt tagged out on the thunder chickens I wouldn’t be at horse creek sat after dinner I’m gonna run mine between staves landing and flat tub a few times and see how it does