Black Hills NF South Dakota

southGAlefty

Just booked our room for our trip to South Dakota. Myself and a buddy are headed up May 14-20th. First out of state trip for both of us so we're pretty excited.

I've talked to a couple of the forum members that I know have experience with Merriams, but does anybody else have any tips that might get us ahead of the curve? We're both flatlanders used to field birds and flatwoods but I have been reasonably successful over my turkey hunting career. I'm excited to see some new country and find out what chasing a Merriams is all about!

jakebuddy

Leave the owl call behind and get a coyote howler. Turkeys will readily gobble in the evenings to the coyotes from the roost.

Gut_Pile

Go out and listen, when you hear one, set up close. Yelp some, then shoot him

That's all I got :bounce:

Garnto88

How are roads on national forest land. Is a 4 x 4 necessary?

Gaswamp

wow, I'm kinda jealous...Just go out and enjoy and hopefully have some success....You guys driving?

southGAlefty

wow, I'm kinda jealous...Just go out and enjoy and hopefully have some success....You guys driving?

We are. Leaving the 14th and attempting to drive straight through. Hopefully make it to SD in time to roost a bird for Wednesday morning. It’s 27 hours one way so we will see.

Gut_Pile

This is just me, but I would try to scrounge up a couple extra hundred bucks before you leave. That way when you see a big strutter in a field in Nebraska, you can pull over and buy a license after you knock on a door for permission.

Also, after you kill, go get a picture with Mt. Rushmore in the background

earlyspur

Gotta stay ahead of them and above them. You cant call them back to a spot where they have already been very often, they move at a torrid pace the first couple of hours off the limb. Being in the correct direction after flydown is critical. Also they have an attention span about like a 5 yr old child. So often with Easterns you quit calling once they sound like they are committing to keep from blowing your cover, but if you do that to a Merriams he will most often times give up on you. Stay in the throttle basically until the gun goes off. Ditto on the owl hooter, leave it at home. Also make sure you have higher pitched (Glass, Ceramic, Aluminum) and higher volume (Long Paddle Boxes, etc.) calls to counter the wind. PS hope your legs are in good shape. Merriams hunting is some of the finest hunting I have ever done, beautiful country and beautiful birds. Good luck!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t turkey hunt but I have been there. Watch for prairie dog holes.

I am sure you are already planning to see Rushmore but Be sure to drive through Custer State Park and the Needles Highway while there. I

mossyoakpro

We are. Leaving the 14th and attempting to drive straight through. Hopefully make it to SD in time to roost a bird for Wednesday morning. It’s 27 hours one way so we will see.

Been there done that...that straight through driving is a killer. Especially on the way back....might want to schedule some extra time for an overnite stay somewhere.

Just some friendly advice from someone who has done that...

southGAlefty

Been there done that...that straight through driving is a killer. Especially on the way back....might want to schedule some extra time for an overnite stay somewhere.

Just some friendly advice from someone who has done that...

Duly noted. We are going to swap every tank of gas and catch a nap on the off-times hopefully. I expect it to suck, but am ready for the challenge. Planning to leave Saturday morning on the ride back so if need be we could catch a motel somewhere in between that night, we just both have to be back at work that next Monday.

Gut Pile, if we tag out early in SD we have discussed trying to find somewhere to hunt on the way home.

southGAlefty

Gotta stay ahead of them and above them. You cant call them back to a spot where they have already been very often, they move at a torrid pace the first couple of hours off the limb. Being in the correct direction after flydown is critical. Also they have an attention span about like a 5 yr old child. So often with Easterns you quit calling once they sound like they are committing to keep from blowing your cover, but if you do that to a Merriams he will most often times give up on you. Stay in the throttle basically until the gun goes off. Ditto on the owl hooter, leave it at home. Also make sure you have higher pitched (Glass, Ceramic, Aluminum) and higher volume (Long Paddle Boxes, etc.) calls to counter the wind. PS hope your legs are in good shape. Merriams hunting is some of the finest hunting I have ever done, beautiful country and beautiful birds. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I hoot with my natural voice, but will be on the lookout for a coyote howler.

brittonl

Good luck, I’ll be in the same hills May 5-11. Hoping for decent weather for us both!

buckpasser

Raspy calls that work well in the southeast just don’t translate somehow out there. Keep it clean and high pitched. As others have said, pour it to them like a rookie on the calling and get out in front. They sometimes pitch a very long way to there strut zone and move very fast with the flock or alone. Also, a spook to them may only equate to a few minute delay in the action and a walk away putting session instead of the standard fly away eastern reaction. Lastly, bring a fly rod.