Daniel Defense on Hard Times

georgiaboy

For me it's a doggone tough call either way.

I think the T-1's the cat's pajamas.

I think the RMR is the cat's pajamas.

Can't comment on the specific models (though I will on a T-1 soon). Here is my take.

I like Trijicon, especially the low power Accupoints. I like the TA11s alot too, among others.

However, when my CompM broke, I called Aimpoint, they were VERY nice and fixed it free, no questions.

Trijicon refused to work on my Tri-Power, even though others had similar documented problems. I mentioned this to the rep and the head of customer service flat told me no. He would not discuss it and I was professional. Trij rep felt bad and offered my choice of sights at dealer cost, but I declined. No need throwing good money after bad. Trijicons CS left a poor taste in my mouth. That being said I have a TA01 and 1-4 Accupoint mounted right now and like them both. I just know if they break then more than likely I am out. I buy used so that I know Trijicon will not profit from me.

I will use Trijicon again in the future, but I KNOW I will support Aimpoint. They actually stand behind their products and don't blame their lack of quality (Tri-Power)on the customer.

And to stay on topic, I read the layoff was for one week only. I think DD will be around for quite awhile.

cmshoot

The T1's battery life comes out to 5yrs, 8mths and a couple of weeks. Gotta admit though, the "never runs out" of the Trijicon is better!

I've been well-pleased with the various Aimpoints I've owned over the years. I've got a CompM2 I've had mounted on a Springfield SOCOM-16 since they first came out. I've run beaucoups rounds through it, and beat the crap out of the entire system. Works like a champ.

I can't actually remember any of students ever having problems with Aimpoints or Trijicons, outside of the early model TriPowers. They've all been rugged and reliable.

I can't say the same thing, however, about Eotechs.

Not that I'm advocating it as a viable option to the T1 or the RMR, but thought I'd throw this personal info out. I won a Burris FastFire at a comp a few years ago. I had recently bought a Benelli M2 Tactical and mounted a Mesa Tactical picatinny rail/sidesaddle combo on it. I went ahead and threw the FastFire on top to see how it would work. I've shot the crap out of it, drug it around, loaned it to a buddy for a week of deerhunting in Ohio (freezing rain and snow all week), loaned it to another buddy for a week of FBI Firearms Instructor School in Birmingham AL, and it's never failed once. It's held it's zero the entire time I've had it and never went down. It's the lowest-priced red dot on the market right now that I'll actually endorse through personal experience.

georgiaboy

I can't actually remember any of students ever having problems with Aimpoints or Trijicons, outside of the early model TriPowers.

How did you know?
:cheers:

I have a couple of buddies running the Burris Fastfires or clones and they love theirs too.

cmshoot, PM sent regarding a mutual friend and upcoming training.

tom ga hunter

from the outdoor wire

The first thing I need to handle is rumor control. I know the blogosphere was rolling Friday and through the weekend with the story of the demise - or impending demise- of Daniel Defense. The company that's been known for very nicely done AR-15 accessory rails and other parts had jumped into the hot complete-AR rifle market with both feet, adding a barrel-machine and other capital investments to allow them to market their own, branded Daniel Defense rifles.

Last week, the majority of Daniel's workforce was given a furlough. That was enough to start the ball rolling on an instant obituary in most circles. Tactical Wire editor Rich Grassi, however, went to the source of Daniel Defense information - the company itself last Friday to get the straight skinny.

Turns out the news isn't great, but it's not a funeral announcement, either. Daniel did manage to time their move into the complete rifle business exactly wrong, but that doesn't mean they're out of the business of components, or firearms.

As a company official told Rich, the rumors of their demise is "complete Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----." I don't know about you, but that's not the kind of answer I'm accustomed to getting in today's "nuance-speak" - but I understand it.

Yes, he admitted, they have had a few rough weeks - and were forced to take some definitive measures to keep things running. The choice, we're told, was simple, take it on the chin from creditors or reduce costs. In most businesses these days, "reducing costs" is the synonym for trimming personnel.

Net/net, here's the story as it's been told to us by the most reliable sources - Daniel officials: yes, there was a furlough; no, Daniel's not out of business. In fact, they reported what appeared to be a very healthy sales number for rifles last Friday.

The lesson there is the same one that many of us have learned the hard wave - you can't catch the wave after it's in motion. You either jump it - or the shark.

And speaking of waves, it seems the sales of firearms and ammunition continue to roll along, despite the expected slowing in the AR rifle business. After all, no market continues indefinitely. But the Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax records for the first calendar quarter of 2009 says the industry has been rolling. In fact, the Q1 numbers reported by the Department of the Treasury mirror the eight straight months of increased FBI background (NICS) checks.

The National Sporting Goods Association says there's a third good indicator as well: for 2008 "Hunting and Firearms" equipment was the only category to grow double digits. NASGA's 2009 forecast says that same category will be one of only two categories to show growth.

Translation: the rest of the outdoor categories aren't having their best years by a long shot - but the firearms industry continues to percolate along, fueled by increased consumer demand.

I won't speculate on the reason consumers think there's no time like the present - like right NOW - to buy firearms and ammo. You can draw your own conclusions.

TheLandlord

The Recent Daniel Defense/Hard Times thread, motivated me to put off my next optic purchase for a week, so I could get some money towards DD & finish up my primary smokewagon. Picked up the 7.0 Omega I've been dying to get, yesterday.

danieldefense.jpg

Bushmaster Lower
Magpul UBR
MIAD
Smith & Wesson M&P Upper
Noveske KX3
LMT Rear BUIS
Trijicon TX-30
Surefire M951 Kit 02
TangoDown BattleGrip
Specter Sling

mp1t.jpg

mp2jky.jpg

mp3t.jpg

Only thing left?

Insight CVL or a LD OTAL.

STRYCNINE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Black Creek, GA) August 5th, 2009 – Following a difficult period of downsizing and furloughs, Daniel Defense, Inc. resumed normal operations at their state of the art manufacturing facility today. Recent drops in small arms sales had forced the Savannah area small arms manufacturer to balance out production and sales levels, resulting in nominal layoffs, and a week-long furlough for the majority of both manufacturing and administrative personnel.

The week-long furlough sparked a torrent of online discussions within the firearms community as many AR enthusiasts contemplated the ominous impact of a firearms manufacturer expressing difficulty in this economy. Everyone at Daniel Defense was elated by the amount of supportive, encouraging, and optimistic comments made by everyday shooters and enthusiasts. Jay Duncan, Vice President of Sales & Marketing spoke on this subject by saying, “We are very confident about our position in the market place, and feel our strong relationships with our dealers, distributors and most importantly our customers, will pull us through the other side of this difficult market shift. We are encouraged by the support of our customers and the firearms community, and will work diligently to continue providing the products and service that have earned their trust.”

Optimistic about Daniel Defense’s recovery from this unfortunate series of events, Marty Daniel, CEO and Founder of Daniel Defense clearly expressed his combined empathy for those who lost their jobs, and confidence in the professional skills of the fine personnel that fill Daniel Defense’s payroll. “Layoffs are very personal, so we did our best to avoid layoffs as long as we could. Unlike simply turning off a machine, our employees’ families, income and way of life were dramatically complicated. Our employees are our most important asset, and there isn’t a single employee laid off that we aren’t working to get back. We hired the most hard working, and skilled designers, programmers, operators and assemblers in the industry. As we restructure ourselves to address demand and market status in the most fiscally responsible manner possible, our primary goal is to bring as many of these fine people back to work.”
Daniel Defense is poised for continued successful operations as they continue steady production of the Daniel Defense DDXV Carbine, a lightly accessorized version of the acclaimed DDM4 Carbine.

In addition, to meet market demands for a shorter version of the new Omega X 12.0 rail system, Daniel Defense has released Version 2 of the DDM4 Carbine – The DDM4v2. This top-tier rifle includes all the same features and benefits of the DDM4, but is equipped with a 7 inch version of the Omega X rail system.
In response to these recent events, Daniel Defense continues their commitment to providing shooters with the most dynamic and valuable small arms solutions available by properly balancing the utmost in quality and tactical engineering with considerate pricing structures.