Jasper County

270win

Alright y'all. Let's hear about the hunting in Jasper this season. I'm going tomorrow afternoon to bow hunt. Hope to score early this season. Actually I hope to get my first bow kill. :D

270win

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
Hunted Sat and sunday. Missed a doe sat night. Saw a fawn and jumped two others. Alot of acorns on the ground. Saw an armadillo too. Hopefully i can get back down there soon.

Last edited:

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Not much luck with me, hunted on our club that borders Clybel and at 9:30 am had 2 hunters from the WMA trespass on our land and walk within 40 yards of my stand. What is amazing is they walked by yellow posted signs bordering our property that were posted every 40 yards to get on our land and come by me where my stand was 80 yards off the property line!!!
After getting their attention they turned and went back on the WMA. I thought it might be a good morning to hunt considering all the sign-in bow hunters on Clybel might have the deer moving towards our club property.
I guess they considered our 280 acres to be part of the Management Area. Stayed in the stand another 2 hours but didn't see a deer. Green acorns are everywhere on the ground.

270win

I went Saturday pm. I didn't see anything. The White Oaks are dropping like crazy now so that's where I'll be hunting the next time out. Probably won't get back down until next Monday and Tuesday. Good luck guys. :D

270win

Last edited:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Acorns Acorns, everywhere

but the deer were not where I was:(

Went down Sunday noon and came back today. The weather was good and it was cooler than I expected, especially in AM.

Had a slight drizzle this AM, till @ 9 AM, but still no sightings.

I think that I prefer that the deer and I both have to "hunt for" the acorns.

Good to be back in the stand :clap:

leo

270win

We went to the property on Friday to cut the downed trees off of the roads. There were quite a few. One fell while we were there! :bounce: We got to check on one of our food plots in the creek bottom, it's coming up like gang busters. There are acorns EVERYWHERE!! Most are still attatched to small branches and clumps of leaves. We also saw two fresh scrapes and a new rub. This cool snap should kick em into high gear this week. I'll be in the woods tomorrow. Good luck y'all! ;)

270win

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
I will be headed down on tuesday. I'll be bringin the chain saw to clear any fallen trees. Hopefullly the deer will be eatin up the white oaks, kuz i'll be sittin on top of em!

270win

Monday the 20th of September-

Went out this morning. It was a nice day to be in the woods. My buddy killed one, a doe at about 8:45am. There were 8 of em feeding through a creek bottom when he scored. I didn't see anything at all. Still early though.

SouthPaw Draw

Went down to club Sunday, didn't hunt, took my 6 year old son with me to check my trail camera and do a little scouting. Lots of downed trees and found a good fresh rubline along a creek bottom. Any reason why bucks like to rub along these bottoms? Every year see rubs along this same area.
Lots of green acorns on the ground due to high wind I guess.

Joe Moran

SouthPaw Draw said:
Went down to club Sunday, didn't hunt, took my 6 year old son with me to check my trail camera and do a little scouting. Lots of downed trees and found a good fresh rubline along a creek bottom. Any reason why bucks like to rub along these bottoms? Every year see rubs along this same area.
Lots of green acorns on the ground due to high wind I guess.

SouthPaw,

Sounds to me like you're in the right spot. I LOVE hardwood creek bottoms.

You probably got a good one just marking his territory. Go get em!

270win

Oh yea, I forgot to menchion that I'm seeing scrapes everywhere now. Most of them are in the spots where they were scraping last year. Also found a fresh rub. It get's my blood pumping to see some good sign like that.

Southpaw-
two years ago I hunted a scrape line that had been consistant for several years. The persistance paid off with a nice 8 pointer on the wall. If you're seeing a consistant scrape line year after year I'd hunt it hard.

Good luck!

Sup Joe?

Joe Moran

We're seeing some buck sign already as well. I don't remember seeing scrapes this early before. Almost makes me want to break out the old grunt tube.

Brandon,
You better hold out for a monster! No more "little" 11 pointers! :D

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
I made it down to the woods today and made it a day of many firsts. I got my first deer with a bow, a 4 point, which was my first buck and is the first deer taken from our property so far this year. I shot him at 30 yds at 8:15 this morn while he fed on some white oaks. He ran less than 20 yards. I saw 2 more deer tonight, a doe and a buck. She spooked because she saw my buddy move and her and the other deer took off before i could confirm he was a buck. I could have shot the doe but she was headed straight for my buddy who has never killed a deer. We found their tracks where they crossed the road and there was 1 set of doe and one set of big buck tracks. I'll see if i can get him next time i go down. Will have pics of 4 pt soon!

270win

I agree Joe, this is earlier than normal for seeing scrapes and rubs. I'm going to try to hold out for a sho' nuf monster this year. :bounce: I know they're out there.

270win

SouthPaw Draw

Joe Moran said:
SouthPaw,

Sounds to me like you're in the right spot. I LOVE hardwood creek bottoms.

You probably got a good one just marking his territory. Go get em!

I hope so, every year its like clockwork as far as the rubs go in this area. This bottom runs from the WMA onto our property into pines with lots of thickets. Seems to be a good travel corridor, just waiting to get my Hoyt back from the Archery Shop- string broke and waiting for them to fix it. Hope to be in the woods this weekend!!!
db

Bone Collector

Clybel success!

I hunted Saturday afternoon and killed a wide 4-pointer and a button buck. I had to react fast when I saw the 4-pointer come in because he was on the move and was going to pass through two openings on the edge of some thick pines. I thought he was a 6-pointer because he had 3 points on the right. However, he only had one long beam on the left. He weighed about 150 pounds. Then I thought the button buck was a good doe. He weighed about 100 pounds. I could have shot a third deer, but it looked like a fawn that had recently lost its spots.

All in all, I had a good day. I killed two deer in one hunt with my bow.

By the way! There are rubs and scrapes starting to pop up good already.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Glad to hear that some in Jasper are having success

I hunted Monday thru Thurs AM, all in the morning from dawn to 11AM, and did not see a deer from my stand. The spot is a hardwood grove that is loaded with acorns and has been a producer for years :(

We had a "thinning cut" last year that changed the area I hunt quite a bit and that coupled with the abundance of acorns seem to be limiting my sightings this year, although the tracks are still there.

I'm finding many muscidines, ripe and on the ground.

The weather, except for the wind, was great love the cool mornings for bow hunting :clap:

leo

GA DAWG

Stayed at my club in jasper county this week,but didnt hunt it.I hunted cedar creek and BF grant.They are thinning the timber out on my club started cutting last monday.I did make a trip or two around the property and saw a few deer.I probably want hunt it untill gun season.