Squash borer! ARGH!

cjones

We got our first mess of yellow squash and zucchini last week and were looking forward to having enough to freeze some this week. Wife went out this morning and found that over half of our squash were mush at the stem and found the infamous squash borer inside each plant.

This is the 3rd year we've been thwarted by this stupid little bug. What can I do to prep for next year, or plan better for next year so we get more than one helping of squash before those things hit!?

I've been trying to stay 'clean and green' with gardening, but I'm about ready to napalm those jokers!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
The most effective way to deal with Squash Borers is simply refrain from planting any kind of Squash. They have been known to infest even Pumpkin Vines.

I have found that it seems to help with the problem if one plants as early as practical. This will not eliminate the Borer problem, but it will lengthen the harvest time before the vines are destroyed.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
The most effective way to deal with Squash Borers is simply refrain from planting any kind of Squash. They have been known to infest even Pumpkin Vines.

I have found that it seems to help with the problem if one plants as early as practical. This will not eliminate the Borer problem, but it will lengthen the harvest time before the vines are destroyed.

Unfortunately this is the hard truth we finally had to come to accept. Forgoing planting for farmers market to avoid the frustration.

I only wish we could teach the borers to develop an appetite for Kudzu vine.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Never had that problem in over 25 yrs ??

Try "scalloped squash" next season, around here they out produce "crook necks" 10-1 and taste better.

shakey gizzard

These yellow sticky cards help, but the aint 100% effective!

Attachments

• 06399[1].jpg
    06399[1].jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 534

doomtrpr_z71

Imidacloprid applied at planting and before bloom as a foliar spray help, bifenthrin can be used if you scout for the adults. Scalloped squash are just as susceptible. Field sanitation is key.

Killdee

Agree with Vernon, plant early, plant extra, get em while you can, pull em up and burn or haul far away. I move em every year too, may or may not help.

pine nut

I plant early, and usually reconcile myself that squash is over by the third week in June forme. When I see the signs for the last three years I have been pulling up the vines and making sure I destroy the borers I split the stalks open and likk them then I grind to plants in my chopper and put them in my composter. I still have squash vine now but they are coming down soon.. I actually believe this process has begun to help delay their effects and their coming this year. It is only my impression. I started seeing worm holes in the squash and dusted thoroughly with Dipel and that stopped so it may have helped to delay the vine borers too. IDK if the worms are one and the same but I haven't been troubled with either as yet this year. PLease use Dipel and not sevin, because it is more effective than Sevin and it doesn't kill the bees. I dust my whole garden and usually have no corn worms , tomato worms, bean beetles, or cabbage worms either.

Red dirt clod

Dipel

Thanks for the advice on Dipel, will try that on my corn & squash. Get the corn ear worms every year, only time I didn't was when I dusted the silks with sevin. Just didn't like doing that though.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Thanks for the advice on Dipel, will try that on my corn & squash. Get the corn ear worms every year, only time I didn't was when I dusted the silks with sevin. Just didn't like doing that though.

Best advice I ever got for corn was when the ears first start to tassle put a couple of drops of mineral oil on the silk. Now of course we weren't talking acres and acres of corn, just my small 4 row garden. Best thing I ever did, never had worms again, and it was a more organic solution.

I really try to avoid chemicals if I can. Sevin is about the strongest stuff I'll use on other plants.

Mako22

BANNED
Best advice I ever got for corn was when the ears first start to tassle put a couple of drops of mineral oil on the silk. Now of course we weren't talking acres and acres of corn, just my small 4 row garden. Best thing I ever did, never had worms again, and it was a more organic solution.

I really try to avoid chemicals if I can. Sevin is about the strongest stuff I'll use on other plants.

Liquid Sevin works for me on squash and other plants.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I have lost the squash bug battle 3 years in a row... This year I put in raised beds for my squash and cucumbers and haven't seen the first SB. Been getting a steady supply of squash also! Lucky... Probably!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I have lost the squash bug battle 3 years in a row... This year I put in raised beds for my squash and cucumbers and haven't seen the first SB. Been getting a steady supply of squash also! Lucky... Probably!

You just doomed your crop. ::ke:::ke:::ke:

I hope it continues for you. Can't stand those stinkin borers.

Red dirt clod

Mineral oil

Never heard of that but I may try that too. The corn is so much easier to shuck when all the silks are intact. Thanks for the tip. So you apply when the silks 1st start to come out?

joey1919

I wonder if the borer is more prevalent in the harder clay soils like we have vs. the sandier soil such as you have?? :huh:

May be something to that after hearing of all the trouble folks have with them. I live in a sand bed and have never had problems with them.

whchunter

Give Up

I have neighbors who only live a block over and they don't have issues. Family members in TN grow squash that are huge and the leaves look like elephant ears. They never have any problems. How do commercial growers grow enough squash to sell ?

I'm thinking I might not grow a garden next year. I'm tired of the fight against diseases, insects, critters and drought

Red dirt clod

Found Dipel at Ace

Have mineral oil already and will be ready when the silks just start to turn brown. Thanks guys, looked for paddy pan seeds but never found any around here this late.

Redbow

We always have the Squash borers here and had them in SC while living there as well. My Uncle used to put Sevin dust in with the Squash seeds when he planted them, this seems to help..Planting in straw bales might help as well but I have never tried that..

cjones

Wife pulled the plants that were total mush at the stalk. For the few other plants, she cut the stalk open, removed the worm (and killed it), then mounded dirt up over where she made the cut. Surprisingly, it looks like a few of the plants might actually survive the surgery.

May not do squash for a few years, though. Try to get that stupid moth to move elsewhere if there's nowhere for it to eat around here.