St George Island

JHannah92

Looks like I'm headed to SGI in June for my honeymoon. I've never been so I'm not sure what to expect. Any advice on things to do in the vicinity? Seafood restaurants? Sights to see nearby? Any info is appreciated.

GypsyJon

Right now the fishing is unreal. By June, not sure, should be OK, but warm water in Apalachicola Bay chases the trout and reds out of there. Off shore should be amazing. If you have enough boat, head out to C tower and fish for AJs, dolphin etc.

Also, West Pass on the outgoing tide can be unreal any time. Don't fall in though, big sharks hang out there dining on shrimp, crabs and fish getting washed out of the bay.

Best dining, IMHO, is Owls Cafe in Apalachicola.

Have a large time.

Mac

Very laid back with few tourist traps.

You should check out the sights from Port St Joe to Alligator Point, some real nice scenery.

JHannah92

Definitely plan on doing some fishing, but it'll probably be from the beach. Also plan to see the sights. I see there's a state park on the island, is it worth a drive through?

tad1

Jhannah,
Do a forum search on sgi or st george and there will be lots of good info. The state park is on the east end of sgi. Just undeveloped beach and bay. There is a small daily fee. Yall will have a great time!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have a great time. Been going there for 20+ years and have seen it grow and change. Take a day to go explore Apalachicola. It is a quite old town with a great atmosphere. There are shops to see and good eats also. Papa Joe's is great and Boss Oyster is a hole in the wall with great oysters.

Unfortunately the eats on the island are not what they once where. Blue Parrot is good and worth a hit. Eddie Teach's raw bar is a good place to grab some oysters and a cold one during happy hour. If you like pizza then go to BJ's Pizza for lunch one day.

As for the fishing, June is great. I want go into detail here but do a search under my name in the saltwater area and you should get all the info you need.

Mac

Definitely plan on doing some fishing, but it'll probably be from the beach. Also plan to see the sights. I see there's a state park on the island, is it worth a drive through?

State park is great, would suggest going down to the East end, you will need a combo # from the check in ranger.

They only allow 20 vehicles at a time, you can walk down to the cut between ST George and Dog Island,
fishing is good and good secluded beach combing.

JHannah92

As far as restaurants...is it mostly pricy seafood places, or are there inexpensive options for lunch/dinner? We'd like to eat a nice meal one or two nights but don't want or need an expensive meal every day we're there.

gunnurse

The one time that we visited SGI was on what they deemed "mosquito week." I have NEVER been attacked by so many skeeters at one time than that week. I understand that the skeeters are regularly quite bad, so don't forget the bug juice. We had a great time there. Have fun!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
As far as restaurants...is it mostly pricy seafood places, or are there inexpensive options for lunch/dinner? We'd like to eat a nice meal one or two nights but don't want or need an expensive meal every day we're there.

You'll pay for seafood for sure. The pizza place I mentioned is a good option for a little less expensive meal. The places do have lunch menus' also that will cut the price at that time. There is also a Subway if that floats your boat for lunch.

Mac

Captain Snooks and The Hut in Eastpoint, just across the bridge would be good places to eat.

Alot of locals eat at the Hut, the little ladies that run the place are super nice and the prices are good.

Last edited:

6ofus

I'll second The Hut and Papa Joe's. The Hut is a great local place and the prices seem to be lower than most others. The Blue Parrot is another we always make sure to stop at just for the "island" feel.

mickbear

dont know if Harry A's is still there but it used to be a great place years back

HALOJmpr

Not too far is the Coastal in Panacea. Doesn't look like much but hey will load your plate with DEEEEElicious seafood. They usually ahve a daily all you can eat special too.

Mac

I don't know if you like to cook or not, or want to deal with it on your honeymoon, but we hit the seafood markets and have a wide variety of treats. Several good ones on the water in Eastpoint.
There is an old guy on the cut through road toward the bridge, that sure has some good smoked mullet. Get one fresh just off his grill.

Last trip I got a 1/2 bussel of oysters (30 lbs) from Lynn's for I think $18.

If over in Carrebelle Millenders has some good stuff, Crabcakes, grouper dip, etc.

Stop in the new Federal Center (can't remember the name) just East of the Bridge on the Eastpoint side, they some great displayes and it is Free.