Best Deer Scent Cover

sniffen08

Looking to try out a new deer scent cover this upcoming season. What is the best one that has worked for you over the years?

hobbs27

pine straw and dry leaves put in a bee smoker. Smoke your clothes and boots good.

Swamp Monkey

What hobbs27 said :
"pine straw and dry leaves put in a bee smoker. Smoke your clothes and boots good."

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Cedar and green pine straw in a sealed container work well also.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hunting the wind works best but I like green pine needles put in a plastic bag overnight with my clothes. Never tried hobbs method.

Jeff Phillips

Hunting the wind and Marlboros.

Rich Kaminski

Skunk scent for bear with anise attractant or sardines.
Fresh earth scent for hogs as well as hog mash with strawberry jello for attractant. Pine or fresh oak for deer and peanut butter for attractant.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After over 30 years of deer hunting, I can say with confidence that nothing will cover your scent. Deer can differentiate individual odors from among a mixture of scents. If a deer is downwind of you, it will smell you, regardless of what cover scent you use. Tests with dogs have proven it, and a deer has a better nose than a dog.

280bst

Remember when we just used watered down turpentine

Skunk Odor is the very best. Don't get it on your hands, boots, or clothing. Apply a very small amount to a wash cloth and put the wash cloth in a zip lock bag. When you get to your stand-remove the cloth from the bag and attach the wash cloth to the outside platform of your stand or shooting house (a clothes pin works fine) and you are covered ! When you are done hunting-return the wash cloth to the zip lock bag and you are ready for the next hunt...or...if you will be returning to this shooting house leave it in place. Odor lasts a long time !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Skunk Odor is the very best. Don't get it on your hands, boots, or clothing. Apply a very small amount to a wash cloth and put the wash cloth in a zip lock bag. When you get to your stand-remove the cloth from the bag and attach the wash cloth to the outside platform of your stand or shooting house (a clothes pin works fine) and you are covered ! When you are done hunting-return the wash cloth to the zip lock bag and you are ready for the next hunt...or...if you will be returning to this shooting house leave it in place. Odor lasts a long time !

And the deer, instead of smelling just human, will smell human and skunk. He will act the same as he did when he smelled you without the skunk.

280bst

GON needs to put something on here sort of like FB a like button so when NCHillbilly puts smelling skunk and human I can just hit the like button or when Nic told that fella uh deer ain't got no gall now that was priceless and I could have hit the smiley laugh button just saying:cheers:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Tie a sweaty shirt to your stand every few months. Get them use to smelling U.
I also throw down by beer cans there so they smell it , that way when I hunt and drink beer the smell won't spook them.
It's so easy even a redneck could do it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sir: It works ......Try It....You Will Like The Results...End Of Message.:clap::cheers::cool::flag::yawn:

I have tried it, long ago. I didn't see or kill any more deer. I just smelled like a polecat, and my love life got considerably less fun for a while.

Hmm...

I have tried it, long ago. I didn't see or kill any more deer. I just smelled like a polecat, and my love life got considerably less fun for a while.

Sir: Again with all due respect.......you were not supposed to put a drop behind each ear.....That may be where you went wrong.....:flag::biggrin3::fine::biggrin2::yeah::cheers:

Rich Kaminski

The best cover scent for bear is skunk scent and a bear has amuch better nose than a deer. Just the facts!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Tie a sweaty shirt to your stand every few months. Get them use to smelling U.
I also throw down by beer cans there so they smell it , that way when I hunt and drink beer the smell won't spook them.
It's so easy even a redneck could do it.

This guy knows what he's talking about. He kills big bucks:bounce: