Strawberries

tree cutter 08

Anybody here with any advise or tips for planting or growing strawberries? Planted a small patch a few years ago without much luck. Want enough to be able to put up and make jelly.

Jack Ryan

Last time I had strawberry plants, I planted them in the kids tractor tire sand box. Added dirt to what sand was left, mixed it a little and planted a few free plants the neighbor gave me.

I was pretty happy with it. Less rot problems than with plants on level ground and you have a handy seat to weed a little and prune the extra plants that pop up. Got plenty of fruit for two adults and two small children. If I needed more I'd just put it out in another tire now today.

Easy to keep nuisance critters out of there to.

Longhorn 16

Thread title brought back a memory. So you go to school and you get picked up and dropped at your bus stop. Remember those days? Anyway me and my best friend cut through the woods because it was quicker.

Well low and behold one year, while crossing this mans yard we noticed Strawberries growing on a hillside behind his house.

Young and dumb we had a field day. Took us a while to figure out this stuff doesn’t happen over night. Well kinda towards the end of school we are running our routine and the home owner comes out and runs us off.

To this day I wish I knew how to contact this man and apologize.

I have pretty good luck growing them in a raised bed. I mulch them real heavy. I cover them completely up and wait for them to grow through the top. I rarely water them and only use a 10-10-10. My only problem is keeping rabbits out of them because my bed is too low.

meatseeker

I planted some right next to my garden a few years ago. They were June bearing. Hilled them up a bit like beans. Only had a few plants but they would put out about 30 new plants on runners. First year I got a few to eat. The next year I got 42 gallons. The 2016 drought killed most of them but I don’t need any for a while. They were hardy but 3 months of no rain thinned them out. I can’t speak for other varieties but the June bearing did good up
Here

Fork Horn

I made a raised bed last year and planted 50 Ozark Beauty and 50 Fort Laramie strawberry plants. Only got a few off of them last year (we pulled off the blooms for most of the summer) but had very healthy plants going into fall. Looking forward to see what they'll do this year. I've been thinking about doing another raised bed. I want to be sure that we get enough berries. Still have to make a cover of some sort before spring to keep birds out of the berries.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Raised beds work best for me. My problem is the durn wild turkeys eatin' them up while I'm at work, just before they get ripe enough to pick.

tree cutter 08

Thanks for all the info and advise! Gona give it a go with some raised beds this spring. Sounds like I may need to just focus on getting plants in the ground and keep them healthy this year then next spring should be harvest time. May have to build some nets to keep birds off but will be inside electric fence area so rabbits shouldnt be a problem.