.22 caliber bolt action

walkinboss01

What is the best .22 caliber bolt action for your money. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I understand the good ones are not cheap.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Marlin x3. You can get a better rifle, but I doubt if you can get a better one for the money.

ASH556

Ok, I'll disagree. The Marlin's not bad, but if you really want a shooter, find an old Remington 510 (single shot), 511(detatchable magazine), or 512 (tube magazine). They are aweseome and can usually be found used for around $100 - $150. Construction is far better than the Marlin. That's what I'd look for.

BamaBart

I have a CZ American. Great squirrel rifle!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ok, I'll disagree. The Marlin's not bad, but if you really want a shooter, find an old Remington 510 (single shot), 511(detatchable magazine), or 512 (tube magazine). They are aweseome and can usually be found used for around $100 - $150. Construction is far better than the Marlin. That's what I'd look for.

Yep. I like the old classic .22 rifles, too. The Remington 514/514T was nice, accurate functional old rifle too. The old Savage-Anschutz sporters were very accurate rifles too...you can still find them sometimes for $200-300 if you look around.

The Winchester Model 52 was one of the best .22 rifles ever built...Unfortunately, they are getting harder to find and when you do find a good example, you'll pay for it......

I have one of the old original Kimber of Oregon Model 82A rifles that is probably the most accurate sporter .22 (with the right ammo) I've ever seen. I've had it for over 20 years and it ain't going anywhere.....once you find one that will really shoot, it's something to hold on to.

35 Whelen

I have the Marlin 983S model. Stainless steel, laminate stock, tubular feed, 22 Win. Mag. Good shooter!

jeclif

I have a CZ 452 varmint feels like my deer rifle and shoots much better than I can--kinda make's me look good

we shoot golf tees at 25 yards ,old eyes won't let me get any farther away

luv2drum

New it is hard to beat a Marlin for the money, Savage is good too, but for a little more then you can goe with a CZ. It really depends on what you want to spend and how you will use it....

JohnnyD

I'm late to the party on this one, but I have to say I'm in love with my Marlin 981T. With CCI Mini-Mags it'll do this at 35 yards:

981t.jpg

First shot out of a clean barrel is always a flier. The rest are perfect.

For my squirrel and rabbit hunting requirements and occasional target shooting it's perfect for me.

Yep. I like the old classic .22 rifles, too. The Remington 514/514T was nice, accurate functional old rifle too. The old Savage-Anschutz sporters were very accurate rifles too...you can still find them sometimes for $200-300 if you look around.

The Winchester Model 52 was one of the best .22 rifles ever built...Unfortunately, they are getting harder to find and when you do find a good example, you'll pay for it......

I have one of the old original Kimber of Oregon Model 82A rifles that is probably the most accurate sporter .22 (with the right ammo) I've ever seen. I've had it for over 20 years and it ain't going anywhere.....once you find one that will really shoot, it's something to hold on to.

I agree that the older American rifles are hard to beat. Any of the ones mentioned above, Winchester Mod. 69 in various versions. They mostly have fine walnut stocks that can be brought back with minimum effort.

In my mind any of the old Sears/J.C. Higgins/Ted Williams are real sleepers because they were all made by the brand name companies and sell for a discount.

Other factor is that bolt actions are out of favor, and anything less than a top of the line target model is dirt cheap.

bullgator

CZ......period!

Hiccup

Ruger American Rimfire for me. Bought one in .22 mag and about to buy another for my son in .22 LR.

GunnSmokeer

The Ruger American has a huge advantage with the fact that it uses the same excellent 10-round rotary mags that the 10/22 and 77/22 use. I have shot the 77/22 quite a bit when my best friend had one years ago, and I liked it. I'd trust Ruger to make a quality bolt .22 while making it simpler and less expensive to build than the 77 was.

That being said, I also have had two Marlin .22 rifles (one LR, one WMR) that I liked, and now that Marlin has an adjustable trigger on some of their rifles, that's worth considering.

I handled a Savage Mark II that had a laminated, thumbhole-style stock and an Accu-Trigger that was really sweet. That's a bigger heavier rifle than the Ruger American, but for shooting from the bench or across the hood of your truck, it seems like more of a tack-driver.

JohnK

I have a CZ American. Great squirrel rifle!

My cz not too different from my old school model 7 as far as size, bolt etc. so it's good for practice and can be plenty accurate depending on the ammo. I don't know about cheap initially but they seem to hold their value better than most.