Horn breaking

Riverrat84

Any of y'all have your dogs broke to break down and come in on command with shock collars? I got some of the slowest hounds on the club but usually the last to catch up. I thought at first it was a terrible idea until I saw it work. I have a young pack this year and figured it might be a fine time to try it. I have the basic idea but any advise y'all would like to share from experience ?

Scrapy

Banned
Maybe post that above under Small Game. The competition coonhunters love those remote control dogs, LOL.

DogHunter4Life

i have mixed emotions about horn breaking. i've seen a person have 15 head of 10 month old puppies running the fire out of a deer and the guy blow his horn and all 15 stop on a dime and jump in the back of the truck..unbelievable!!! having said that, a guy was trying to turn a deer one time because it was next to the highway and the dogs quit and came to the truck.

i've heard of them training them to whistles and giving everyone on the club a whistle so they could stop the dogs if the owner is not there when they try and cross.

so just train them to whatever you want..you just have to use it all the time

Riverrat84

Still hunters from out of state and out of town are all around us man and they are not very dog friendly otherwise I would never consider it. We only have about 3000 acres left and a dog will blow out of there in a minute. Have had some even get shot when they got out of pocket in the last few years. When dogs got out of pocket ten years ago you would get a phone call from a still hunter thanking you because you ran him the only deer he had seen in a week, now you get cused out or a visit from mr warden along with a hefty citation.

grouper throat

I have most of my older one broke but they normally don't stop mid-race unless you go to toning the collars as well. I have had someone else from our club go to blowing the horn and call my dogs out of the block several times and it's aggravating. I don't train my young dogs as strict on the shocker these days.

My advice is break them to the horn AND tone on the collar at the same time. That way maybe just the horn won't work.

roperdoc

If you can tone them, do you need another cue like a horn? Or is that just to give someone else an option to help stop your dogs, like the whistle idea above?

Scrapy

Banned
I train all my dogs to recognize my horn when I feed them. They are not "horn broke" so to speak. But when they finally knock off on their own and hush , I toot and they head on back to the truck.

MFOSTER

BANNED
I hunted in the 70s with a guy that had 5 July hounds they were all gunshy when someone shot they quit hunting and went to truck hunting small heads they were the trick if the deer got by just shoot load up and go to next spot.

ishootlittlebucks

If you can tone them, do you need another cue like a horn? Or is that just to give someone else an option to help stop your dogs, like the whistle idea above?
I have been working on my dogs with the tone. Last year I had 5 that got hung up in the river swamp. When I had enough of the boo-hooing, I figured I'd try it. They all came out, but went 3 different directions. Still had them caught up in about 30 min, but I could see where breaking with a horn and a tone would be a benefit.

HOG-HEAD

Only way to go...ive started with a safety whistle to gather mine..I send them a tone and start blowing the whistle. ...seems to be working. ..some of the young dogs need the tone , the whistle and the shock...some other guys use the horn in the club...I switched to whistle so my dogs wouldn't stop when other guys were getting their dogs up

Latest posts