New Boykin owner

snakers

Hey guys,

So I get to go pick up my make Boykin Friday and I am extremely excited to own one after waiting two years to make the decision. Since I am new to these dogs, is there anything certain I need to know? Any certain types of foods? Certain habits to watch for so I can break them early? My last dog was a blue heeler so I expect this to go smoothly. Would love any input!

I don’t plan on hunting with my dog. I will take him out to retrieve and play but mainly just wanted a good family dog.

Thanks again!

Blake

oatmeal1

I don't have a boykin but I do have a Brittany, I have a good friend that has one and she is heavily trained. Both dogs are very loyal and similar. They are very sensitive and can be ruined or scared very easily. Give it lots of love and attention and be very gentle when you discipline and you will have a wonderful family dog for sure!

yogi10

Great dogs! I've got a 2 year old boykin (profile pic). To say these dogs are loyal is a major understatement! Be ready for a ton of energy and drive! My dog will go for hours on hours retrieving, swimming, riding in the car you name it and he's ready to go. Gets along great with other dogs, kids, adults. All around great dogs. Would not trade mine for anything.

Kline2054

Boykin owner here! I absolutely love my boykin, Cowboy.

A few things with them

They are different than a lab if you want to train for retrieving. The best way I heard it said is that a lab retrieves because it is a compulsion, a boykin retrieves because they want to.

With that being said their upbringing is extremely important in order to get the hunting drive. If they associate it with work and not play from a young age then they can quickly decide its not what they WANT to do.

Suggestions: absolutely no training pressure other than potty training for first 4 months. You can then work with the dog on "sit" and such from 4-6 months. Do not start any formal training with the dog until 6 months of age. This will give them time to mature

Make retrieving the most fun thing he has ever done with a ton of praise, and then honestly leave him wanting for more. When he is young get the bumper out or toy to throw and just throw it 1-3 times, while he is still excited and you have been praising him a ton... put it away. This has to be special, not something they can ever get bored with. This will help increase their drive as they get older.

Play with them in the floor with bird wings as a puppy, let them wings hit their face a little to get them used to it. I like to hide bird wings in my house and let him hunt for them and learn to use his nose better

touch the dogs ears and feet a lot to get them comfortable with you being around their face and paws

boykins have a lot of feelings, and combined with that can be stubborn and want to do things their way. They need a lot of attention and love.

We trained ours to go to the bathroom outside with the use of a bell hanging from the door.

they WILL!!!! eat socks and female underwear!!! ALL of them will. Keep all of this up and away from them. You will NEVER see them do this in action, they are sneaky. This can cost thousands of dollars at the vet and surgery.

socialize them with plenty of other dogs and take them everywhere with you if you have the opportunity, especially the first few months

as far as food goes. Some of them, along with all dogs can have sensitive stomach. I suggest Victor Grain Free or Fromm Grain Free. I personally feed Fromm. If the dogs stools are loose on victor, go with Fromm. check out dogfoodadvisor.com for their ratings on dog foods, amazing site

if you decide to get it professionally trained then 6 months is the suggestion for that.

Blaine with hudson river is in Lula georgia and trains only boykins

Marty with Brier Creek is out of Grovetown and trains only boykins

I chose Stephen Durrence out of Sylvania GA who trains a mixture of dogs.

If you do get the dog trained by a pro then i suggest someone you are close enough to in order to go out once every couple of weeks at minimum so you can learn from them as well.

Hope this helps, do you have any more specific questions?

snakers

Boykin owner here! I absolutely love my boykin, Cowboy.

A few things with them

They are different than a lab if you want to train for retrieving. The best way I heard it said is that a lab retrieves because it is a compulsion, a boykin retrieves because they want to.

With that being said their upbringing is extremely important in order to get the hunting drive. If they associate it with work and not play from a young age then they can quickly decide its not what they WANT to do.

Suggestions: absolutely no training pressure other than potty training for first 4 months. You can then work with the dog on "sit" and such from 4-6 months. Do not start any formal training with the dog until 6 months of age. This will give them time to mature

Make retrieving the most fun thing he has ever done with a ton of praise, and then honestly leave him wanting for more. When he is young get the bumper out or toy to throw and just throw it 1-3 times, while he is still excited and you have been praising him a ton... put it away. This has to be special, not something they can ever get bored with. This will help increase their drive as they get older.

Play with them in the floor with bird wings as a puppy, let them wings hit their face a little to get them used to it. I like to hide bird wings in my house and let him hunt for them and learn to use his nose better

touch the dogs ears and feet a lot to get them comfortable with you being around their face and paws

boykins have a lot of feelings, and combined with that can be stubborn and want to do things their way. They need a lot of attention and love.

We trained ours to go to the bathroom outside with the use of a bell hanging from the door.

they WILL!!!! eat socks and female underwear!!! ALL of them will. Keep all of this up and away from them. You will NEVER see them do this in action, they are sneaky. This can cost thousands of dollars at the vet and surgery.

socialize them with plenty of other dogs and take them everywhere with you if you have the opportunity, especially the first few months

as far as food goes. Some of them, along with all dogs can have sensitive stomach. I suggest Victor Grain Free or Fromm Grain Free. I personally feed Fromm. If the dogs stools are loose on victor, go with Fromm. check out dogfoodadvisor.com for their ratings on dog foods, amazing site

if you decide to get it professionally trained then 6 months is the suggestion for that.

Blaine with hudson river is in Lula georgia and trains only boykins

Marty with Brier Creek is out of Grovetown and trains only boykins

I chose Stephen Durrence out of Sylvania GA who trains a mixture of dogs.

If you do get the dog trained by a pro then i suggest someone you are close enough to in order to go out once every couple of weeks at minimum so you can learn from them as well.

Hope this helps, do you have any more specific questions?
No sir! You handled it all. Tomorrow is the day! Extremely excited! I am not a bird hunter however I will probably train him to retrieve just for fun! I enjoy playing with him. Then again who knows, I may take up a new sport!

creekrunner

Our Boykin is almost 5. He’s a good one, just a family pet with no training other than just basic commands but he is a natural squirrel dog. Will tree one in a heart beat. He found an 8 pt buck for me 3 years ago that I shot in the rain and couldn’t find.
Great pet, very loyal and good around people and other dogs, but hates cats

Cavalry Scout

MY Jake is 1 year. Loyal, playful, excited to see me and a lot of personality! He is a little hardheaded and will chew anything in sight. Enjoy your Boykin!

Latest posts