George Hickox pointing dog training

Radeck86

Has anyone ever followed the Hickox training program for pointing breeds? I ordered his dvd Great Beginnings the First Year along with a clicker as a training aid for my 5 1/2 month old GSP Millie. She is my First personal dog.

To date:
-Crate trained and house broken.
-Has a foundation for basic obedience, but struggles with it.
-Lots of positive field, woods, outdoor, etc exposure.
-Positive introduction to birds
-No introduction to gunfire (only toy cap gun upon release of pigeon with no apprehension)
-No clicker training to date
-No E-collar introduction

Any opinions on the Hickox method for pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

NUTT

Did not follow him for my dogs but I can assure you if you will be patient, not saying you haven't, when she begins to mature and her instincts start showing her skills will abound. They are an amazing breed and even better pets. What they can retain is incredible. My 3 are almost five and two of them hunt 2-4 times a week. The other is just a big love bug! Good Luck with Millie!

Radeck86

Thanks NUTT,

I notice changes in her abilities almost every week and her drive to find birds is incredible. She is still bumping pigeons rather than pointing but I’m sure that will come with time and age. Are you involved with NAVDHA? I’m thinking of joining this year to train in GA.

rstallings1979

I have a Brittney that was welped in March of 2017...for

the first 6 months he was all puppy. He had the natural ability for pointing and finding birds so that was not an issue at all. Over the summer I put him on some leftover birds from last season 3 or 4 times just let him chase them and have fun. The last batch in August I used a check cord and upon pointing I held him back and slowing started introducing "woah" and gently stroking his back as well. In November I sent him for an entire month of quail fun in Wrightsville to a trainer who offers a puppy program considering I was going to be chasing deer all month anyway. I wanted to get him around other dogs as well as let him have fun with the birds on a daily basis. At this point he is holding steady more and more as he matures. Patience is key.

I do treat rewards as well and I can tell that this does help. I also have used the shock collar with good success simply to introduce "come" to him. I do not use it for anything else and only wanted it engrained in his head because I have spent a ton of time training the dog and him getting lost would be upsetting. If he busts a bird he will not get shocked. The best piece of advice really to let him have fun with the birds right now. He will chase and point every bird imaginable as a puppy...squirrels as well. But as he ages the smell of the quail will turn him on more and more.

Special note I am an amateur at this. There are guys on here that have offered me the same advice I am telling you. I have developed friendships with a couple of guys who offer advice whenever I need it.

NUTT

Good advice Randy!
I'm not a part of any organization. Just fortunate to have a place to do hunts on a local plantation and associated with some folks that give good examples to follow. I read a lot and spend multiple hours working my girls. My son's girl has been to South Dakota several years also and he is really the one that has done the finish work on ours. Good Hunting to yall!