Purina Pro Plan Sport

fredw

Retired Moderator
Our GSP had a lot of loose stools with 4Health. Switched him to Pro Plan on the advice of our vet. Stool issues solved. He's been on the Pro Plan for three plus years now.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
We feed our GSP’s Purina Pro Sport. One of our GSP’s is now overweight at 65 lbs. The vet Saturday told us to stop giving her the purina pro plan sport because our dogs are not active enough. We don’t hunt them. She suggested a diet food to try to cut down her weight. They were only getting 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening. The vet said our dogs were getting too much protein . We will see what happens with the diet food.
Our adult working dogs get two cups a day of Pro Plan Sport once a day

Growing puppies older than eight weeks get 1.5 cups twice a day of Pro Plan Sport

This has worked very well for us

brownceluse

Pro Plan all the way. My labs have been on it over 7 years. Good solid stools, shiny coats and overall healthy. I've tried other feeds but have always went back to Pro Plan.

across the river

The ratings are based on the content and composition of the food. The ingredients on the bags are listed in order of weight, and while pro plan has "Chicken" as the first ingredient list, that includes water content. This means the actual "meat" content in the food is down the list some. Like 99.9% of all the wal-mart/ grocery store foods the next ingredients or pro plan will be wheat, corn, corn meal, or some combination of those. Nothing with a bunch of corn in it is going to get a high rating, because corn is low in protein, high in carbs, and not as digestible as other foods. The stuff that gets high ratings will have a high meat or meat meal content with more desirable vegetables in it, if it has any. Is Pro plan going to hurt your dog, or cause you any problems, no. People have all different diets and look and act completely different while eating all kinds of diets. It just isn't as high of a quality food as some of the other stuff out there. I share the opinion that others have shared that there are better dog foods for the same money. Since the digestibility of the "non corn" foods are better, I have found that I can feed my dogs less to maintain the same wait and end up with much less poop to deal with because more is get absorbed.

TAS

My Vet thought my dog was very healthy but said his coat wasn't shiny enough. She asked me to mix 50-50 Pro Plan Sport and Taste of Wild Puppy. Seems to be working fine.