Registering a Puppy

TAS

My new puppies mother was registered with the AKC and UKC. Think the Father was as well. Do most people register their dogs with both? There was no kennel name attached. His called name is Phoenix. What else goes into naming him...says needs at least two names under 36 characters. Final question...they offer 3-7 generations. Not much difference in price. Is there any reason not to do the 7? Thanks. Never had anything but pound dogs before.

Tag-a-long

What are your goals for the dog? If you have any expectation of participating in hunt tests or other performance events or ever breeding the dog I'd register both. When you do health clearances they're recorded under the dogs registration number so if you are planning to do any of those I'd at least register AKC.

Personally I never spend the extra money on more than a basic pedigree. They are accessible online in a couple of places if you want to research his ancestry.

PS ... you bought a really nice dog ... even if you don't plan on running tests with him I'd encourage you to come out to a hunt test and just watch. It's amazing what they can do, and depending on when/where you go there is a good chance you could see his sire working.

TAS

Can anyone attend these tests as a spectator? Can you bring a puppy not running a trial? I would like to come out a see what is involved. Had a friend that really enjoyed them. Not sure of my plans with this puppy. Will go to a trainer at 6 months and see how he does. Thanks. Are there any upcoming trials? I live near Savannah, Ga.

Tag-a-long

Can anyone attend these tests as a spectator? Can you bring a puppy not running a trial? I would like to come out a see what is involved. Had a friend that really enjoyed them. Not sure of my plans with this puppy. Will go to a trainer at 6 months and see how he does. Thanks. Are there any upcoming trials? I live near Savannah, Ga.

Absolutely! Spectators (canine & human) are welcome. You'll need to keep the pup on a leash or in the truck. The hunt test season is pretty active in the spring and the fall not so much in the summer (when it's too hot for the dogs) or winter (when it's hunting season).

We'd love to have you come out spend the day with us. Bring a chair and cooler, some clubs have drinks/lunches for sale onsite and some don't. HRC is a family oriented organization so bring the kids too. Adult beverages are acceptable in moderation but not until after the last dog has run. Most clubs have a tailgate dinner Saturday evening, you would be welcome to stay for dinner and socialize.

There are other hunts in the region, but these are ones within a couple hours of you. I will be at all of them. If you decide to come out, give me a heads up and I'll make sure we have someone to give you the dime tour and help explain what your are watching.

3/17 - SOWEGA HRC – Albany/Americus GA
4/7 - Middle Georgia HRC - Dublin GA
4/14 - Northeast Florida - Hilliard FL
4/21 - Coastal Empire - Portal GA

TAS

Thank you very much. I will look at my schedule and make sure the family makes one or two. Very hospitable of you!! Thanks.

TAS

I am looking to go to the trial in Portal. What time do they typically start and how long do they last? Thanks.