Recommended Chicken Breeds

JackSprat

local ordinance, no roosters for backyard chickens. You might want to check on that.

Before the ordinance, neighbors had a big old rooster, and no hens. I liked him, but some of the other neighbors didn't so he had to go.

Our dog "retrieved" the rooster once, and I think it actually hurt the bird's feelings. He wasn't hurt at all (soft mouth on the dog) but he sulked in the bushes for about 2 days.

Cmp1

BANNED
You get a bad rooster all you can do is either kill it or give it away. Abner and I had some knock down-drag outs several times. I ended up with a torn up britches leg and he lost a spur and part of his comb in the last one. They`ll fight you till they die.

We ended up giving him to Tomboy Boots. :D

Lol lol lol,,,, love your hatchet handle Nic,,,,

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
How often do y'all have to go in and clean out your chicken coops?

Really not at all. I use the deep compost method and it is really hands off. I'll toss a square bale in once or twice a year and the chickens do the rest. Every now and then I'll do a full scrape out if I need compost, but I haven't done that in close to 2 years. Zero smell or anything of the sorts.

Cmp1

BANNED
Really not at all. I use the deep compost method and it is really hands off. I'll toss a square bale in once or twice a year and the chickens do the rest. Every now and then I'll do a full scrape out if I need compost, but I haven't done that in close to 2 years. Zero smell or anything of the sorts.

We compost it all,,,, if you use a bale, does it really keep the smell down? Was thinking of doing this also,,,,

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
We compost it all,,,, if you use a bale, does it really keep the smell down? Was thinking of doing this also,,,,

You can use any organic material. I just use hay because I have easy access to it. I add whenever the old material is getting broken down real good. There is little to no smell at all.

ssramage

Dustin, are you doing it in the coop or the run? I was thinking of doing the same in my coop.

Cmp1

BANNED
You can use any organic material. I just use hay because I have easy access to it. I add whenever the old material is getting broken down real good. There is little to no smell at all.

I'm going to give it a try this spring,,,, do you put it where they lay also,,,, we use pine shavings there,,,,

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Dustin, are you doing it in the coop or the run? I was thinking of doing the same in my coop.

My coop is a probably 15 x 20 area. I have nesting boxes and also a roost area (some would rather go all the way to the rafters). The whole "floor" area gets hay.

I do let my birds free range most days while I'm at work.

ssramage

My coop is a probably 15 x 20 area. I have nesting boxes and also a roost area (some would rather go all the way to the rafters). The whole "floor" area gets hay.

I do let my birds free range most days while I'm at work.

10-4. I'm building my coop (5x7) inside a dog kennel for now, but plan to let them free range as much as possible. I think I'll plan to use deep litter in the coop.

Cmp1

BANNED
10-4. I'm building my coop (5x7) inside a dog kennel for now, but plan to let them free range as much as possible. I think I'll plan to use deep litter in the coop.

We let some of ours free range,,,, but you have to search for the eggs,,,,

Latest posts