2018 Braves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToHuntAndFish

Hope Braves' Albies wins NL Rookie of the month award this season like AL Angels' Ohtani won for April.

Looks like San Diego's Villanueva won NL Rookie of the month award for April.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mlb-rookies-of-the-month.shtml

MLB Major League Baseball Rookies of the Month

or

https://www.mlb.com/news/ohtani-christian-villanueva-win-april-rotm/c-274903060

Ohtani, Villanueva named Rookies of the Month

May 2nd, 2018

and

https://www.mlb.com/news/christian-villanueva-is-nl-rookie-of-month/c-274914234

Villanueva earns NL Rookie of Month with 8 HRs

May 2nd, 2018

Time = 1:09

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yesterday, The Angels presented Shohei Ohtani with his A.L. Rookie of the Month award. We&#39;re excited to see a brand new episode of &#39;The Sho&#39; tomorrow afternoon! pic.twitter.com/jZ72DMNNko</p>— Angels (@Angels) May 13, 2018</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Coenen

1997 Marlins are the last team I can think of that bought a World Series title through free agency. Pretty much destroyed any fan loyalty with the fire sale the following season.
There are 4 WS champs since 2001 that were also in the top 5 in payroll. The Red Sox three times, and the Yankees once. Most WS winners are at least in the top 10 in payroll, but very few are the types of organizations that are remembered for being overly active in free agency. They find their core guys as young players and then build from there.

Relying heavily on free agency came into vogue as a lot of the big market teams started getting their huge injections of cash from TV deals. Big-name veteran players bring a lot of eyeballs to the product in the short term, but they are no substitute for a well run front office committed to a sustainable product.

In my opinion, the teams that run more like NFL franchises tend to be more successful. As one of my favorite football columnists is fond of observing, "I don't want to sign [Free Agent Player X]. I want my organization to go out and find the NEXT [Player X]."

biggdogg

This game they needed better umps. Camargo had home then Culbertson clearly had third.

The league should be embarrassed by that review of Camargo's slide. I have seen WAY too many calls upheld this season that were clearly called wrong on the field. Even Joe Simpson pointed out during the game that the umps in NY are "looking out for their brothers". If you're not going to handle replay correctly, just don't have replay.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

The league should be embarrassed by that review of Camargo's slide. I have seen WAY too many calls upheld this season that were clearly called wrong on the field. Even Joe Simpson pointed out during the game that the umps in NY are "looking out for their brothers". If you're not going to handle replay correctly, just don't have replay.

I agree, in the NFL if you lose a challenge you still have it. Why not have that in the MLB? It's just disgraceful.

biggdogg

I agree, in the NFL if you lose a challenge you still have it. Why not have that in the MLB? It's just disgraceful.

The NFL also doesn't have other referees handling the replay challenges. It's a league official.

DannyW

We will have a closer in July. I am confident.

We didn't really need Kimbrel the last 3-4 years, but the last two games have shown why we need him now.

Who's available...I have not even looked? (And please don't say 'Jim Johnson'!)

Coenen

We didn't really need Kimbrel the last 3-4 years, but the last two games have shown why we need him now.

Who's available...I have not even looked? (And please don't say 'Jim Johnson'!)
I heard some interesting speculation about Zack Britton the other day. He's in his walk year with Baltimore, and they will not be bringing him back. He could be a good low cost, short term option.

Unless the right deal comes along, I wouldn't be hurt to see them stay the course this season. It won't always be pleasant to watch, but I don't want them to sell the farm for a guy that can't be a long term answer. We're close, but not quite there yet.

Patriot44

Banned
I heard some interesting speculation about Zack Britton the other day. He's in his walk year with Baltimore, and they will not be bringing him back. He could be a good low cost, short term option.

Unless the right deal comes along, I wouldn't be hurt to see them stay the course this season. It won't always be pleasant to watch, but I don't want them to sell the farm for a guy that can't be a long term answer. We're close, but not quite there yet.

And he lives in Baldimerm. That has to count for something...:bounce:

biggdogg

I don't see the Braves making ANY trades for a player in their walk year. Just too risky to give up good prospects for a player that may not be back next season. I know I mentioned it earlier, but I have read somewhere that Kimbrel is high on AA's shopping list this off season. Not sure if they can compete with the money the BoSox or Yankee's might throw his way though...

Patriot44

Banned
I just went and grabbed lunch and watched the replay. Those umps should be fired!!! Lawd!

Duff

Terrible call(s). Yes, we need a stopper and another good arm in the pen.

walukabuck

Need starters to go deeper. Bullpen will be shot by the all-star break. Bullpen not deep enough to continually cover four innings every night.

Patriot44

Banned
The pitching game has changed over the past 20 years. Pitchers used to go 8 unless they were having an awful outing. Now they go on pitch counts and are in many cases, done before the end of the 6th.

I understand why, but that is a lot of innings to backfill. I believe whoever figures this out best is going to be out front for a while.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I will withhold any further judgement on this team, until the All Star break. Like what I am seeing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.