Trout fishing with high water levels

ERay1387

We have a trip up to Cherokee booked Sunday-Thursday. We booked it long before we knew it was going to rain a good bit before we went up and while we were up there. We even have a guide booked through Rivers Edge Outfitters to hit the trophy waters. I was wondering if anyone had any experience fishing those rivers up there when the water level was high. Is it even worth it? If so what techniques/baits do you use. I will be primarily spin fishing other than the day with the guide. Any help is appreciated.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been on the Taccoa when it was storming with highwater. It would go dead during the rain and be on fire between storms.

jeardley

I've never fished up there but have done great fishing for trout in high water after a rain. Unless it gets blown out and muddy (shouldn't be a problem unless they are building something upstream or have pour erosion control). Good luck, I'm hoping to make my first trip up there this summer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just hit the calmer, protected areas near the banks, behind big rocks, etc. High, stained water is a good time to catch big browns, within reason. There comes a point when it's just too blown out to fish, but you can often do pretty good in high water. When the water is high, it's usually best to go as far upstream as you can. The smaller waters like Soco and Bunches Creeks may be better than the main river or Raven Fork if it rains too much.

Tmpr111

I agree with NCH, and I've also caught my better and bigger trout as the water was starting to come back down and clearing up from being very blown out.

Jimmy Harris

Anyone who has spent much time trout fishing this region will tell you that nothing makes us better anglers than a good rain shower that colors up the water. We're not talking about a deluge with high,muddy water; just a good rain that washes in some worms, ants and beetles and cloudy enough to give the fish a sense of security from overhead predators.

However, having said this, you do need to be aware of the possibility of flash floods in the Cherokee area. Those streams have such large watersheds that you can be enjoying perfect weather down in the valleys while a storm is blowing through on the headwaters. Flash floods are a real danger and you need to be aware they can happen. I have more than one friend who has spent the night on the wrong side of a creek when it flooded and they couldn't get back across to their vehicle or camp. If a Ranger stops and recommends you get out of the stream, listen to them! In the meantime, have fun in one of the most beautiful trout areas in the country.

Attachments

• Dukes Creek.jpg
    Dukes Creek.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 435

ryanh487

The problem isn't the high water, it's the warm rain and the water temp spike. I was up there for 4 days a few years back and the fishing was dynamite until a full day of hard rain that raised, muddied and warmed the water. Bite all but died in most of the stream. I had the best luck fishing the bottoms of deeper pools, but even then it was slow compared to dry weather. Black rooster tail with gold blade, gold and red little cleo spoon, or just a night crawler with double split shot about 6" up from the hook did the job last time I was up that way after a hard rain. If you can catch a crawfish for bait you will most certainly hook into a brown.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who has spent much time trout fishing this region will tell you that nothing makes us better anglers than a good rain shower that colors up the water. We're not talking about a deluge with high,muddy water; just a good rain that washes in some worms, ants and beetles and cloudy enough to give the fish a sense of security from overhead predators.

However, having said this, you do need to be aware of the possibility of flash floods in the Cherokee area. Those streams have such large watersheds that you can be enjoying perfect weather down in the valleys while a storm is blowing through on the headwaters. Flash floods are a real danger and you need to be aware they can happen. I have more than one friend who has spent the night on the wrong side of a creek when it flooded and they couldn't get back across to their vehicle or camp. If a Ranger stops and recommends you get out of the stream, listen to them! In the meantime, have fun in one of the most beautiful trout areas in the country.

Nice hen!

I would guess that 90% of the browns over 20" I've caught over the years were caught right after a rain or thunderstorm that made the water rise and turn dingy.

The mtn man

Nice hen!

I would guess that 90% of the browns over 20" I've caught over the years were caught right after a rain or thunderstorm that made the water rise and turn dingy.

Me too, I never caught a good brown in low clear water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If it keeps on raining like this for a couple more days, you will be able to fish anywhere up here. Cornfields, roads, schoolyards, pretty much everywhere. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This was near here in Hendersonville, NC yesterday:

Attachments

• DdUgZVvUwAA_S-v.jpg
    DdUgZVvUwAA_S-v.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 182

Alcaraz

I have some experience fly fishing for trout.
In Spain, we have a saying that tells: "a rio revuelto, ganancia de pescadores", which comes to mean: "a high river, a profit for fishermen".
When the river comes high, fish start moving for eating all the food the river moves.
With moderated high levels, the problem is more the tecnique. It is a good time for natural bait fishing but not as for fly fishing or lure fishing.
I would focus in places where the water gets a little calm or smaller tributaries and upstream.