Who’s spot is it?

JackSprat

Well, I'm no tournament fisherman, but what other sport do the competitors lay down because you are the leader. Used to call that a "fix". (Well, there is NASCAR).

Here's what I don't understand at all. Ky. Lake is 160,000 acres -almost twice the size of Clarke Hill.

So the only place two pros can find to catch fish is an area the size of a subdivision lot. I thought that was the difference between the "pros" and us mere mortals.

Greene728

Well, I'm no tournament fisherman, but what other sport do the competitors lay down because you are the leader. Used to call that a "fix". (Well, there is NASCAR).

Here's what I don't understand at all. Ky. Lake is 160,000 acres -almost twice the size of Clarke Hill.

So the only place two pros can find to catch fish is an area the size of a subdivision lot. I thought that was the difference between the "pros" and us mere mortals.

Nail meet hammer:smash:

Tmpr111

I agree on first come first serve, but I also think if he had to pass him with the faster boat to get to the spot and only by a few seconds, I think that’s a bit shady. But that’s just my opinion.

duckyaker90

Id have to ask myself why those fish were there and go find another spot like it. Never been in that position with 100k on the line. I do know I wouldn’t have walked away from it though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I personally think it was a sad day to begin with when money and competition got tied up with fishing. It makes people into jealous, greedy, hateful types who will do anything to win that money. Same with trophy deer contests and such. Keep that mess in sports. The outdoors isn't a place for it.

i_fish

I think I remember this happening before with pro anglers.

The article I read said most of the competitors go by the unwritten rule of yielding to the tournament leader.

If I still fished tournaments I would let the leader have the spot.

i_fish

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I personally think it was a sad day to begin with when money and competition got tied up with fishing. It makes people into jealous, greedy, hateful types who will do anything to win that money. Same with trophy deer contests and such. Keep that mess in sports. The outdoors isn't a place for it.

Exactly. :smash:

Silver Bullet

Both guys fished the spot. One in the morning. One in the afternoon. Nobody owns the spot. If one of them woulda had an anchor to drop, they coulda dropped the anchor and bought themselves 50 yards of mandated space.
I bet someone has himself a new Bullet or Allison before the next tournament...
SB

toyota4x4h

Ive always heard was first come first serve. Also yes its a Tennessee river lake and there are a few spots like that. I know of a few on Chickamauga lake. They are called community holes for a reason though so if you head to them don't get mad if theres a few other boats. This is why a lot of ppl don't like these ledge fishing lakes.

jocko755

Just watched FLW Live - and feel totally different. Both men had fished the hole. It was a community hole. Lambert got to the hole first, but only by seconds. Lambert had the right to fish it.

Haynes squeezed in and fished for a minute rub rail to rub rail and made the decision he didn't want to fish that way. Haynes just made a decision to quit. Never have I seen a Pro just pack it in and trailer home. He was professional and did not lose his cool. Strange.

There was one more day. He could have fished another spot and cycled back to the ledge. He still won 12K with his 2 day weight. But I guess when you are fed up and had enough, you just decide to pack it in. Bizarre.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

It doesn't make them into jealous,greedy,hateful types. They were already that. It just showed it to the rest of the world.

ryanh487

I never realized that fishing tournaments had pots that large.

180 boats with the top 60 getting money starting at $9200? A 1 in 3 shot at nearly 10 grand just for 4 days of fishing? I might need to find a way to work towards getting in on this whole big green fish fad... everyone keeps telling me to do what I love for a living :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't make them into jealous,greedy,hateful types. They were already that. It just showed it to the rest of the world.

True. I guess it just attracts them.

Jeff Raines

This is what dangling bait in front of a critter with a bean sized brain has come too?........Seems silly to me.

red neck richie

It can be easily solved with a staggered take off time. The leaders leave first. That is the advantage of leading the tournament. Make it first to the spot with a yardage rule. Problem solved.