Islam, creation, and science

DirtyBird

Yes I am familiar with him and I do follow what he discusses. Moderation is the key.

I believe those who join the extremists are brainwashed. Technology these days allows for anyone to reach out to anyone so easily. I would say that those who join really have no set foundation in their own lives and these groups promise something that appeals to them. Not sure what it is, but apparently it works.

I would like to also point out that the correct definition for jihad is to battle the struggle within one's self. A spiritual struggle against thoughts or sins.

As for cultural issues, I can go on and on. One example is the pre arranged marriage and how the girl has no say. That is a strict culture thing. According to Islam and teachings, the girl has to approve of a suitor. Women's rights in Islam are pretty high up there. If they wanted to, they could charge their husband for cooking a meal.

Let me know if there are any other questions and I will try to answer them!

centerpin fan

Yes I am familiar with him and I do follow what he discusses. Moderation is the key.

I believe those who join the extremists are brainwashed. Technology these days allows for anyone to reach out to anyone so easily. I would say that those who join really have no set foundation in their own lives and these groups promise something that appeals to them. Not sure what it is, but apparently it works.

I would like to also point out that the correct definition for jihad is to battle the struggle within one's self. A spiritual struggle against thoughts or sins.

As for cultural issues, I can go on and on. One example is the pre arranged marriage and how the girl has no say. That is a strict culture thing. According to Islam and teachings, the girl has to approve of a suitor. Women's rights in Islam are pretty high up there. If they wanted to, they could charge their husband for cooking a meal.

Let me know if there are any other questions and I will try to answer them!

Would you characterize Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist groups?

DirtyBird

I do consider them terrorist groups as they have killed innocent people with no seen remorse. We can also say the armed forces of Israel are a terrorist group due to the same actions to people in Palestine.

If we treated each other the way we wanted to be treated all this probably wouldn't be going on at such a high rate. It really is a shame.

DirtyBird

No worries man. I'll give you an example. At border checkpoints into Israel/Palestine the armed forces would obviously look at your documents. If you were of one origin, no questions asked. If you were of the other, you were treated in a horrible manner. Literally saw armed members kicking civilians to move them aside for others to go through.

The fear on some of the kids faces made my stomach churn. Wouldn't that be considered terrorizing innocents?

On a side note, you're Avatar quote made me laugh!

centerpin fan

No worries man. I'll give you an example. At border checkpoints into Israel/Palestine the armed forces would obviously look at your documents. If you were of one origin, no questions asked. If you were of the other, you were treated in a horrible manner. Literally saw armed members kicking civilians to move them aside for others to go through.

The fear on some of the kids faces made my stomach churn. Wouldn't that be considered terrorizing innocents?

The Israelis have good reason to treat some groups differently. Some groups have a history of walking in with a suicide vest.

centerpin fan

I agree 100%. They could make the place barren. On the other hand there have been many questionable strikes on supposed "militant" strongholds.

On another GON forum, a member recently wrote: if the Palestinians laid down their arms, you'd have peace. If the Israelis laid down their arms, you'd have genocide.

Agree or disagree?

DirtyBird

On another GON forum, a member recently wrote: if the Palestinians laid down their arms, you'd have peace. If the Israelis laid down their arms, you'd have genocide.

Agree or disagree?

That's a good question and not sure how to answer that right now.

I do know if the Palestinians did lay down their arms, they would be systematically removed from their homes with new settlements. If Israel laid down its arms, the extremist groups would take advantage of it.

It's unfortunately a fight that will continue for God knows how long. I personally don't see an end to it in my lifetime.

Artfuldodger

I rarely go onto the AAA forum. I usually am giving my perspective to people face to face rather than online.

I agree with you on being more vocal. What is unfortunate is that we don't get as much press as those waiving around flags and shooting guns in the air. That's the nature of the beast these days.

Artfuldodger, I was born and raised in Atlanta. Parents migrated over in 1972. In regards to the .003% parallel to Christians or other religions, there has been a time and/or place when it has occurred. Maybe one example can be The KKK? What's your opinion?

One of the most important ideas in Islam is peace, love, and forgiveness. What has gotten in the way here is culture or middle eastern governments. People follow culture more than the purity of the religion and twist it to their benefit. Such a shame.

Would you also be kind enough to enlighten me on your last sentence regarding representations? Thanks!

Concerning the action of past Christians. Some have used Christianity as an excuse for there country to expand by taking the land of others. I see many world problems that are caused from expansion of other countries, Christian or other. Spreading the Gospel is different than Imperialism.
In this regard I think many Christian nations have learned from their past. They don't burn witches. Most Christians are more acceptable of other religions than they were in the past. Most Christians have moved beyond the Legalism of years past into a more grace type of salvation. This is a plus as they learn not to judge people and move away from government laws based on Christianity. Christians once considered women as not equal with men. Using the Bible they kept women from being teachers of men. This religious Law moved into their society.
Forgiveness is also a big part of Christianity. I too see many differences in Christianity taught by our Apostle Paul than the Christianity that guided or guides our government.
It's almost like two different types of Christians. The Spiritual Christians and the Political Christians. Perhaps Islam is divided like this.

Regarding representation, if it is only a small group that is radical, the majority or 99% of the other such as yourself need to speak out against the radicals. We don't feel that as a group the majority has done this.
I did see a group of Muslims protesting the violence of other Muslims in Atlanta a few years back.