sunday hunting

3chunter

Sunday hunting is illegal in 11 states. What are your thoughts on sunday hunting?

My .02 is that it is BULL!!!!!

chuckb7718

"Bull" as in what?:huh:

I don't hunt between 9 and 12 so I don't interrupt a service with a "ka-blam"!

Outside of that, I don't sweat it much.

3chunter

I just think you should be allowed to hunt. I am a free american....how does congress or the prez not allow me to do something legal on a day they specify?

Rackbuster

We used to not get to hunt here in Ga. on Sunday.

K80

I just think you should be allowed to hunt. I am a free american....how does congress or the prez not allow me to do something legal on a day they specify?

Neither Congress nor the prez stops anyone from hunting, yet. It is a state issue and in most cases it was put in place by the people of the state.

georgia_home

When I moved to ga, it was hard to get used to.

I am from a shotgun only, no Sunday hunting state.

I kinda like the Sunday thing. If weather or schedule is bad on one day of the weekend, you can switch to the other.

Still on the fence about allowing people to hunt with rifles though!!! ;)

I live in one of the state with no Sunday hunting. IMO it will never be allowed. Pa.

georgia_home

Just curious, did you watch the episode of Ted Nugents show this week? Just curious, it was one of his topics this week.

Sunday hunting is illegal in 11 states. What are your thoughts on sunday hunting?

My .02 is that it is BULL!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't get to hunt on Sundays, so it doesn't really concern me. That said, I'm glad it is legal because I don't see that it is the state government's job to decide what can or can't be done on a particular day of the week. If they want separation of church and state, then they can't have it only part of the way. They can't tell us "no prayer in school" and "no hunting on God's day".

Coastie

The congress and president have no input into your hunting times, that is controlled by the individual states. The states that do not allow Sunday hunting can only be addressed by the resident voters of those states.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hunting on Sunday has always been illegal here, except that last year they finally passed Sunday bowhunting on private land after years of us fighting for it (after being tabled for ages due to the screaming objections of impending he llfire, brimstone, and eternally condemned souls from half the fundamentalist fanatics in the state; and screaming objections from yuppie hikers and bunny huggers who are used to having the woods to themselves on Sundays.) I think it's absolutely ridiculous to not allow hunting on Sunday as long as you can play football, fish, play golf, race cars, have rock concerts, or do absolutely anything at all else that you want to do. Hunting is the only thing you can't do on Sunday here except buy liquor or beer before 12:00 PM (which is also ridiculous.) I think the state legislatures need to come out of the days of the Pilgrims and pay heed to seperation of church and state. Sunday represents 50% of my time off, and I'd like to use that time how I see fit, not how the puritan state politicians think I should.

georgia_home

a kind of interesting spin on this is this...

many of the places that DON'T ALLOW hunting on sundays are in the north east. i guess the history / logic is that sunday was gods day... I GUESS... but i always heard that was the prime reason behind the original logic.. maybe i heard wrong...

anyway, in the bible belt as some refer to it, it is perfectly legal. where as it is the some of the northern state libs / puritans that still have "blue laws" hanging around in some extent or other.

almost seems directly opposite of the political leanings of the areas in question.

i guess with the NE states now, its as much a function of tree huggers not wanting bambi shot at on 1 day of the week... but the law is still on the books...

just an observation... not any sort of judgment...

Yankee in GA

Hunters try to repeal it in Maine from time to time but it always gets shot down. Too many housewives, priests, and tree huggers vote to keep the law in place. It stinks for the average working man who likes to hunt. Saturdays become almost unbearble in the woods because that's the only day a lot of hunters can get out into the woods without having to take vacation days to hunt during the week.

Banned
no Sunday hunting Remember The Sabbath Day and keep it Holy