Make America sober again!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Don't know much past my granddaddy on my dads side. But my mothers side is a different story... Grandpa and all my uncle's were shiners around Talladega Alabama back in the day. My great uncle was a bad man for sure as he went to Alcatraz for a long list of things including car theft and murder. He was one of the ones that tried to escape and killed a guard with a hammer!
:hair:
I've been to Alcatraz on a tourist boat. Scary, scary place. Can't believe some of those escapees tried to swim in that cold shark invested rough water.

greg_n_clayton

I looked at "Moonshiner's" TV show last night for a while.

Two questions:

Why copper instead of stainless?
I understand the "worm" needing to be copper
but the rest?

How much can you make for "personal" consumption
before you get in it with the G-Man?

And, I had a buddy get some green apples from my the trees in the mid 90's. Made some good stuff.

Used the same still as what he called "the wine separator"
where he would buy cheap jug and box wine and "separate"
it into high test.

I was scared as a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs so
the only time it seen it was empty..

And both finished results were really good.
Better than any store bought. I did "see" that.

He died in 1999, so I can't ask him.

At the point when the finished product begins to run, there is a need to reduce heat and control the temperature. Copper cools faster than stainless. If it gets too hot, it will scorch and ruin the whole batch. Hope this answers your other question.

greg_n_clayton

I come from a long and distinguished line of turpentiners, moonshiners, and hog thieves out of the Low Country and east Georgia. Proud of it too.

Seriously.

I didnt thank the water ran fast enough in the flat country to make good likker. I always thought of it to stagnant !!

greg_n_clayton

I come from a long line of likker makers myself.

And Big7, as BriarPatch said, it is very illegal to distill any amount of liquor. Like felony illegal.

They made a case against a buddy of mine a couple of years back just for having the apparatus !!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Moonshine is a way of life not far from here. I have known several old shiners through the years. Some of them made good stuff and some of them made stuff that tasted worse than kerosene.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I didnt thank the water ran fast enough in the flat country to make good likker. I always thought of it to stagnant !!

You thought wrong. You mountain boys don`t have a monopoly on good water. South Georgia has some of the finest blue holes in this country. Cold, clear, clean water.

sinclair1

Have you seen these ads on TV?

My question is: when was America ever sober?

Because the 18th amendment was so effective...

Haven't seen them. Sober is a word with several meanings. To you, it might mean someone is trying to tell you not to drink any alcohol. To a alcoholic it represents something you haven't been, in more than 12 straight hours, over the last decade.

I haven't caught the commercials, so what group did you feel they were targeting?

Lots of folks out there that can't go three days without a drink. Even more, have no need to prove one way or another as denial is a glorious thing.

I was brought up in another culture where I actually walked down to buy "eyn sixt mit namin" at six years old for my father, in exchange for a few sips.

Granny had warm beer all day were I got a few sips, then I would talk her into giving me those bourbon cherry candies.

It's a German culture to be a functioning drunk, much like Japan, they smoke like chimneys and here we make it seem like being morbidly obese is awesome and you can even get a modeling contract as size 20, but you had best not drink or smoke, that's unhealthy .......

Last edited:

GA native

Haven't seen them. Sober is a word with several meanings. To you, it might mean someone is trying to tell you not to drink any alcohol. To a alcoholic it represents something you haven't been, in more than 12 straight hours, over the last decade.

I haven't caught the commercials, so what group did you feel they were targeting?

Lots of folks out there that can't go three days without a drink. Even more, have no need to prove one way or another as denial is a glorious thing.

I was brought up in another culture where I actually walked down to buy "eyn sixt mit namin" at six years old for my father, in exchange for a few sips.

Granny had warm beer all day were I got a few sips, then I would talk her into giving me those bourbon cherry candies.

It's a German culture to be a functioning drunk, much like Japan, they smoke like chimneys and here we make it seem like being morbidly obese is awesome and you can even get a modeling contract as size 20, but you had best not drink or smoke, that's unhealthy .......

I'd say they are targeting alcohol, given that the ads were on during college football last week. I believe that this is just the temperance movement, that refuses to die and go away. But the Puritans never limited themselves to just alcohol. See: the war on drugs.

I believe that "functioning drunk" is an American tradition as well. But look at who settled this country. Primarily Anglo-Saxon, Irish, and German. You ever hear the joke about the sober Irishman? Me neither... Europeans, for more than a thousand years, drank beer, because clear water made them sick. It wasn't until the 19th century that science discovered microbiology. America was settled by drunks. Mexicans fit in, they bring watery beer, tequila, Cinco de Mayo. Asians bring rice wine and skunky beer. Russians fermented potatoes and beets to make vodka. Everyone brings something to the party. One of the many reasons that islam is incompatible with the west, is because they don't drink.

I just don't see where they get the "again" part of their slogan, "Make America sober again." When was America ever sober? As soon as the 18th amendment was passed, everyone, except the most henpecked, started brewing beer at home, and setting up stills in the backyard... if they weren't already. And the henpecked went to speak easys and their corner bootleggers. How did the Kennedy family make its fortune? Bootlegging Canadian whiskey. And even today, dry counties are surrounded by liquor stores, 50' off of their border.

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
You thought wrong. You mountain boys don`t have a monopoly on good water. South Georgia has some of the finest blue holes in this country. Cold, clear, clean water.

agreed,some of the best i ever had came out of soperton ga

sinclair1

I'd say they are targeting alcohol, given that the ads were on during college football last week. I believe that this is just the temperance movement, that refuses to die and go away. But the Puritans never limited themselves to just alcohol. See: the war on drugs.

I believe that "functioning drunk" is an American tradition as well. But look at who settled this country. Primarily Anglo-Saxon, Irish, and German. You ever hear the joke about the sober Irishman? Me neither... Europeans, for more than a thousand years, drank beer, because clear water made them sick. It wasn't until the 19th century that science discovered microbiology. America was settled by drunks. Mexicans fit in, they bring watery beer, tequila, Cinco de Mayo. Asians bring rice wine and skunky beer. Russians fermented potatoes and beets to make vodka. Everyone brings something to the party. One of the many reasons that islam is incompatible with the west, is because they don't drink.

I just don't see where they get the "again" part of their slogan, "Make America sober again." When was America ever sober? As soon as the 18th amendment was passed, everyone, except the most henpecked, started brewing beer at home, and setting up stills in the backyard... if they weren't already. And the henpecked went to speak easys and their corner bootleggers. How did the Kennedy family make its fortune? Bootlegging Canadian whiskey. And even today, dry counties are surrounded by liquor stores, 50' off of their border.
Not sure about "again" myself. maybe a play on MAGA?

SkintRider

Before I was a gleam in my Daddy's eye, he hauled some jugs around Colquit and Tift County and my brothers told me he sold some out of the drugstore he owned in Ellenton. Don't know for sure, but I think Mother cured his drinking problem, if he had one, one night with a coal oil lantern up side his head. He passed in 1980 and I never saw him drink any alcohol. Sure miss them folks bad.

Hornet22

ROMEO

Theys a blue hole out on the Abbeville highway like that, bout fiddy foot wide. We got a bucket of jet string (6500 feet) they use on underground crews, tied a old 46kv insulator to it and tossed it in the middle of the hole. All the string come out the bucket and disappeared. Theys two pivots running out that hole and even in the worst droughts it don't never get low.:cheers: