Alabama Turkey On The Smoker

3ringer

I have been fattening up this yard bird all year. Only the best for my family.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 280

T-N-T

I'd eat that

Well maybe......

T-N-T

I'd eat that

Well maybe......

GoldDot40

I smoked one that weighed 18lbs in my Masterbuilt electric unit. Started it last night right before bed and checked it this morning about 5:AM when I got up for work (yep...work). Meat probe was reading right where I wanted it. All I did was rub it down with Tony Chachere's cajun rub and used maple chips for the smoke. Man it was good (as always). I was in a hurry to get out the door so I didn't get any pics. I'll likely do another one Christmas Eve.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Might be a little stringy and gamy. :)

3ringer

This old nasty bird hung around our house for a while. It had a broken wing. We fed it raw meat. It just disappeared one day.

Casey81

Just hope it doesn't come back and bring friends. A couple starting roosting in my old barn about 11 years ago. One year I had a flock(more like heard) of them that came in and took over. They were the rudest guests I have ever had. Danced on my roof at sunrise, had wild parties on my deck and trashed it. Now those stank ole things show up every year make a mess of the place and the get out of town one they get done raising their nasty brood.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
first hand experience?

A buddy of mine said his grandma was an old backwoods herb-doctor woman who used to make up all kinds of home remedies. One of her infallible remedies for bad colds and croup and such was buzzard grease.

He said that one evening she was rendering out grease from a buzzard that she had shot. She would put it in a big pan in the oven on really low heat and let it render all night.

In the middle of the night, grandpa came home very drunk and hungry. He looked in the oven and saw the bird in the pan.

The next morning, he told his wife, "I don't know how in the world you cooked that durn chicken, but don't ever fix one like that again. It tasted awful, and I never could even find any white meat!" :bounce: