Blue ridge this weekend

Ataylor4

We have had perfect weather the last several weeks so I rented a cabin in Blue Ridge with the intent of fishing the Toccoa. Now that I have the weather has turned poor and it is supposed to rain all week through the weekend. Anyone have any pointers for fly fishing when it has been raining? I imagine the water will be up and cloudy... I can fish the DH or the tail waters.

Last edited:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
They will bite between showers and totally shut down when it is raining. Like an off and on switch.

Ataylor4

Not really sure possibly the canoe launch or if I go to the tail Curtis Switch I guess? Also any recommendations on what flies to use in cloudy water is greatly appreciated

TheTroutWhisperer

Blue Ridge got a lot of rain.. Tamen Park might be the only game in town. The DH will be stained and fast. Curtis will be down right coffee with cream...

Jimmy Harris

The Toccoa DH section is still only running at 261 cfs. That's a fine water level for wading but you do need to know that this section of the river is generally tricky wading. Check here to keep up with the water level.

The tailwater at Curtis Switch should be good to fish also and has been offering up some decent fishing with some nice browns being caught. Don't let rain keep you off the river unless it's flooding and/or lightning. A little off-color water can be magical. Woolly Buggers are unbeatable but also try Pat's Rubber Legs in brown/gold color and always drop a Pheasant Tail off the back of any fly you're fishing on the Toccoa. Duck hunting weather can produce some epic Blue Wing Olive hatches.

TheTroutWhisperer

Wow. Mr. Harris is right. I was very surprised to see the flow on the upper Toccoa at 260. I will hit the upper Toccoa myself on Saturday!

Georgia Hard Hunter

The Toccoa DH section is still only running at 261 cfs. That's a fine water level for wading but you do need to know that this section of the river is generally tricky wading. Check here to keep up with the water level.

The tailwater at Curtis Switch should be good to fish also and has been offering up some decent fishing with some nice browns being caught. Don't let rain keep you off the river unless it's flooding and/or lightning. A little off-color water can be magical. Woolly Buggers are unbeatable but also try Pat's Rubber Legs in brown/gold color and always drop a Pheasant Tail off the back of any fly you're fishing on the Toccoa. Duck hunting weather can produce some epic Blue Wing Olive hatches.

golden advice