Where do you shoot a deer to drop him in his tracks

dawg4028

I have shot many in the neck, but I have heard several talk about a high shoulder shot.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
The vast majority of the time, I use the high shoulder shot. I have been known to also use a neck shot or even a {gasp}:hair: head shot, if the situation warrants it....

I shoot most of my deer right at the point of the shoulder at the base of the neck. I've used the high shoulder shot about 3 times now, and I'm learning to love it, except for the lost meat on the top of both shoulders. To pull this off, aim about 3-4 inches below the top of the deer right over the front leg. Even if the bullet doesn't shatter the spine, the shock will drop the deer in it's tracks. If the shot is absolutely perfect, I've been know to shoot a doe in the top of the head.

jleepeters

I shoot them in the high shoulder, but like Germag said I have been known to take a neck shot or 2, even shot one in the head but I wouldnt do it again. I actually cant use any of theses with a bow tho

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
They just don't walk away from a high shoulder shot!!!

bighonkinjeep

Too much meat loss with the high shoulder for me. Right behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up and put it through the heart is my preferred shot.(Ruins nothing but some ribs and vital organs) It may not always drop em where they stand but it always drops em. Missing the heart by a little still puts your shot into the lungs, liver or both and they go down. Neck shots(spine) and head shots(brain) drop em where they stand if you don't miss by a little and hit em in the throat or blow their lower jaw off, then it gets real ugly.A deer wounded like this can run a very long way.

jmoser

They just don't walk away from a high shoulder shot!!!

picture.php
[/IMG]

He is quartering just a bit away, full broadside I would move fwd a bit more. [Note exit will be in front of the other leg.]

Put a hole thru one of the floating shoulder blades, enjoy lack of tracking.

Miss high = spine shot, instant drop
Miss low = boiler room / vitals / massive blood trail.

:fine:

picture.php
[/IMG]

He is quartering just a bit away, full broadside I would move fwd a bit more. [Note exit will be in front of the other leg.]

Put a hole thru one of the floating shoulder blades, enjoy lack of tracking.

Miss high = spine shot, instant drop
Miss low = boiler room / vitals / massive blood trail.

:fine:

That's actually about 2" lower than I like to aim for the high shoulder shot. My favorite shot is about 2" to the right of that red x. I've shot at least 15 right there, and have never had one take a step.

Dupree

in the head.

jigman29

Tight behind the shoulder,I don't always drop them in there tracks but I still have the shoulders to grind.

redka

High shoulder most of the time. It's the largest part of the spine, disables all legs, cuts a major artery. Seems like they expire about the same time as a with heart/lung shot.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, when I use that high shot, I move it back just behind the shoulder blade. It shocks the spine and destroys the main artery that supplies oxygenated blood to all of the internal organs and the rest of the body.

bublewis

I usually will try to break a deer down with a shot through the shoulders because the spine drops down there, but it depends on the position of the deer.

ambush80

They always went straight down when I've shot them in the head and it wastes no meat (not even the tongue). I don't shoot them in the shoulders or the heart (good meat wasted). I prefer the double lung.

burkehunter

I love the high shoulder shot as well. I first learnt to shoot them behind the shoulder where bowhunters aim but the past maybe 5 seasons I have been using the high shoulder shot and they haven't went another step. I have missed to the front and hit one in the neck and that will do the trick too.