WHAT?? Youths under 16 can use a gun during archery season

bighunter23

A friend told that he was taking to a DNR agent who told him that starting this year......youths under the age of 16 can use a rifle during archery season. I could not find any information on the DNR site but I found the following statement on

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/119/...egulations_Available_Now_in_Print_Online.html.

•In an effort to encourage youth participation in hunting and enhance youth hunting opportunities, the Georgia General Assembly passed SB 474. This legislation included language that establishes a special youth hunting opportunity that allows youth under 16 years of age to hunt deer during the primitive weapons season with any firearm legal for hunting deer. This includes primitive weapons hunts on wildlife management areas.

Dupree

only during the week of muzzleloader, and on special muzzleloader hunts on wma.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bighunter23

Thanks for the info...

That worried me for a moment. I did not want to hear guns going off during archery season. I did find this change in the new hunting regulation, where youths can use a rifle during the week long primitive weapons season. Not sure I really get it though, my 15 year old son shoots a muzzleloader just as good as he does a rifle. Although anything that can get more youths interested in hunting is a good thing.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

albridges

:cool:I agree that this is a good thing. Some people may not be able to afford a ML and have a rifle for thier youngun to use. If this helps a young man or women get into hunting I am all for it.:cool:

Mission

:cool:I agree that this is a good thing. Some people may not be able to afford a ML and have a rifle for thier youngun to use. If this helps a young man or women get into hunting I am all for it.:cool:

i agree, and will give them a better chance if they need a 2nd shot

GABASSMAN

there is a youth gun hunt at grand bay wma during the archery season. I was out there last year when it happened and didnt know about it and it scared the heck outta me when a kid shot 75 yards away. I was worried about walking out cause I had no orange

PWalls

Most kids have a .243 or something that they use during regular firearms. Not too many have a muzzleloader. My daughter killed her first deer at 13 and the .243 was sufficient enough gun for that (no way she could have shot a .50 cal - and I don't want to purchase two of them). I applaud the legislature letting them get in the woods earlier and allowing them to use a gun that they can handle. Kids are the future so we should encourage expansion of that market.

A friend told that he was taking to a DNR agent who told him that starting this year......youths under the age of 16 can use a rifle during archery season. I could not find any information on the DNR site but I found the following statement on

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/119/...egulations_Available_Now_in_Print_Online.html.

•In an effort to encourage youth participation in hunting and enhance youth hunting opportunities, the Georgia General Assembly passed SB 474. This legislation included language that establishes a special youth hunting opportunity that allows youth under 16 years of age to hunt deer during the primitive weapons season with any firearm legal for hunting deer. This includes primitive weapons hunts on wildlife management areas.

But officer I thought it said that I could hunt with a rifle during archery season?
Here's your sign, and your ticket.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TDBone

Did you say, Utes?

I hunt with a rifle all through archery season, and have for years, and no one has said anything yet.

Intend on doing so this year too.