Campus carry shall be legal soon in GA

Josey

I just got an email from GCO stating that Deal is going to sign HB280 into law.

As I understand it, dorms, athletic areas and some other place I don't recall, will still be off limits. It's not perfect, but it is another very big step in the right direction, thanks to the organization that is responsible for Georgia's carry laws, which are now pretty darned good after being horrible up until a few years ago.

Best $20 (I forgot exactly how much) a Georgia gun owner can invest.

Can't say my opinion of Deal was favorable the last few years, but I am grateful that he signed this.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It ain't good for nothing. Read all the exemptions and then give me a detailed list of everywhere you can carry on campus.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
how is it better? If I read correctly, you can carry in your car, but you can't carry into any building. You have always been able to keep it in your car.

jfish

As of now colleges in TX where my kid is at allows it. Next year Jr Colleges are allowing it. Good for us been there already with crazy ex bf.

Josey

how is it better? If I read correctly, you can carry in your car, but you can't carry into any building. You have always been able to keep it in your car.

You can carry anywhere except student housing, administrative offices, offices used for disciplinary actions or areas used for athletic events.

That is still fairly restrictive, buy at least you can walk around campus carrying or even go to class. But the weapon has to be concealed.

killerv

I read you can't take one to class. What's the point then.

HB 280 prohibits the carrying of a concealed weapon by anyone, including weapons carry license holders, on the following areas of a college campus:
· Buildings or property used for athletic sporting events;
· Student housing, including but not limited to dormitories, fraternity and sorority houses;
· Any preschool or childcare space;
· Any room or space being used for classes related to a college and career academy or other specialized school;
· Any room or space used for classes in which high school students are enrolled through a dual enrollment program, including, but not limited to, classes related to the “Move on When Ready Actâ€�;
· Any faculty, staff, or administrative offices; and,
· Rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted.

660griz

This will just increase the amount of guns stolen from cars on college campuses. Worthless bill for somebody to put a check mark.

rosewood

You have always been able to keep it in your car.

No you could not. I carefully read the law back when I was in College (graduated in 2000) and it clearly said students were not allowed to have one in their vehicle. Now if you were an employee at the college you could have one. So a janitor could have one in their vehicle and a student could not. Was always a bur in my saddle. Needles to say, I ignored that law.

rosewood

HB 280 prohibits the carrying of a concealed weapon by anyone, including weapons carry license holders, on the following areas of a college campus:
· Buildings or property used for athletic sporting events;
· Student housing, including but not limited to dormitories, fraternity and sorority houses;
· Any preschool or childcare space;
· Any room or space being used for classes related to a college and career academy or other specialized school;
· Any room or space used for classes in which high school students are enrolled through a dual enrollment program, including, but not limited to, classes related to the “Move on When Ready Actâ€�;
· Any faculty, staff, or administrative offices; and,
· Rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted.

Need to ask the writers of the bill to give us a list where you can carry...it would probably have been a much shorter list.

Josey

I see how it could appear that way, but I didn't originally take it that way.

Here's the problem. It doesn't just simply say "no classrooms". It's the "classes related to" and "career academy or other specialized school" parts that make it unclear and confusing. I read that part quickly and did not interpret it as meaning just regular college classrooms

That may or may not have been intentionally confusing. Probably the former. It would take a lawyer to interpret that correctly, and people are already talking about that.