Success today

Lumpkin Hunter

Had a great hunt this morning. Got in my listening spot at first light and didn't hear a thing. I heard several birds last Saturday across the river and one on my side but nothing would work. This morning around 7 I heard one gobble that I thought might be on a point that goes out fairly far creating a bend in the river. Nothing came of it so I just called a couple of times as the morning went on. Around 8:15 I decided to move in the direction of the only gobble I had heard. I moved about 300 yards eased down a ridge finding some fresh sign. I set up there and on my second set of calls I heard a gobble. I gave it some time and he gobbled again so I gave him another yelp. After a couple more calls and him answering me several times he was getting closer down in the bottom below me. I got quiet and he gobbled below me so I gave him a soft yelp. He and another bird gobbled within 50--60 yards but I couldn't see them. As I watched I saw him peek over the ridge lip just to my right. I switched the gun over when he went behind a tree and waited for a clear shot. Bird down other bird flew off. Good 2 or 3 year old. 9 3/8" beard 1" spurs. When I got back to my vehicle I noticed he had 3 beards total. The other two beards were thin and short one was about 1 1/4" the other about 3 1/2". My first tribble bearded bird. I thanked the Lord for a great morning when I got to the bird. One more to go maybe I'll kill his buddy in the morning.
Anybody else still at it?
Good luck to ya.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 590

jchowell90

Still at it. Birds still get tight lipped off the roost. I have watched him for 3 days and hunted him for 2. He takes a different route every day. He's following a hen and 4 poults. Gonna try him again Saturday morning

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Congrats in Lumpkin! Woo hoo! There is still time and they are still gobbling! Hoping to get out Sunday AM.............So yea, I am still at it!:cheers:

PappyHoel

Awesome. I might try one more time in Lumpkin cty

nick_o_demus

Congrats on an awesome bird! We're still chasing another for pops. Good luck everyone!

M Sharpe

Congrats on a fine bird. Y'all are a good bit behind us here in southeast GA. When I was there, the dogwoods weren't blooming on the mountains. Down in the hollows they were. Ours had been bloomed out a month before y'alls. Goes to show how different it can be just in a few hours away!!