Springfield 1911 Range Officer

Poor Poor Fisherman

Back last year at age 72, I purchased my first 1911. It is a Springfield Range Officer. From the first time I sent a round down range into a target, I could see that I was going to really enjoy shooting this pisto! And each time I take it to the range, I find that I love it even more.

But what I'm so utterly amazing to me each time I shoot it and then dissemble and clean it, is the realization that this pistol's basic design goes back over 100 years! Yes, there have been some refinements from my father's military 1911 that I shot many times as a boy growing up. But, it's essentially the same pistol. And even compared to today's more advanced standards and gun design technology, it is still a brilliant piece of engineering and has obviously stood the test of time. Browning was indeed a genius!

Certainly, modern polymer pistols like the Glock have certain advantages, especially in their lighter weight and mag capacity. But, for pure shooting enjoyment and accuracy on a range, I'll take this 1911 over my Glocks on any day.

Last edited:

rosewood

John Moses Browning was a very wise man. His design is timeless.

Dub

In total agreement.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the 1911 design.

Planning on getting some range time with my 9mm Range Officer this Wednesday or Thursday, too.

Great pistol that is accurate and really pleasant to shoot.

rosewood

I was fortunate, I was introduced to the 1911 at about 18 years of age and purchased my first one at 22. I now have several and tend to weigh all other handguns against the 1911.

I really meant John Moses Browning's designs are timeless. Tons of firearms we are familiar with and own that he designed or his designs were copied.

I started carrying one when I was seventeen along with a PRC/25

jmoser

I tuned my 9mm RO up for competition; it will punch out the X ring all day long. Did same for a few of my friends once they tried mine. Not a beauty queen but the targets sure look sweet.

My personal best is 591/600 on 50 ft PPC course; the lost points are not the gun's fault.

Dub

I tuned my 9mm RO up for competition; it will punch out the X ring all day long. Did same for a few of my friends once they tried mine. Not a beauty queen but the targets sure look sweet.

My personal best is 591/600 on 50 ft PPC course; the lost points are not the gun's fault.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Latest posts