Seeking help with Malware removal

Halfhitch

My wife's desktop HP computer has suddenly, and for the first time ever in 20+ years of computer use, been infected in the past few days with malware. We understand this is particularly nasty and well hidden malware which is said to be very hard to totally remove (Rootkit.Fileless.MTGen), and regenerates itself if it's not.

We still have Windows 7, was using IE 11 until a few days ago when we loaded and she began using Firefox (which she really likes). Microsoft Security Essentials always runs in the background and full scans are performed every couple of days (Essentials never finds anything for this malware). We also use Malwarebytes and have run scans daily for years as they are quick and thorough. Malwarebytes has found the footprint to this malware every time it has been run in the past 2 days (5 times). We have deleted the files through Malwarebytes each time, but they reappear in the next scan - it just regenerates.

I've spent all day researching removal tools, and none really seem to be effective in removing this malware, and a few may be promoting downloads from questionable sources themselves. There is a manual approach suggested on-line, but instructions are very long, complex and include suggestions like 'carefully remove files/registry entries you don't need' - I'm honestly not at all comfortable making a decision what files the system may need to run properly (or making a typo) and risk having to face a full reinstall to fix my error.

I'm considering finding someone qualified (if possible) to handle this for us (Lanier PC in Flowery Branch has a convincing web site) if I can't find software which will take care of it, which I haven't been able to so far.

Does anyone have recent experience with this threat or suggestions for software (or a technician reference) which will actually remove it completely so it can't regenerate itself? Due to the potential threats of this one, I'm very anxious to get it thoroughly removed as soon as possible. Any help or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Typically on recurring Mal ware there will be a file implanted on your start up files. Download CCLEANER. (Cookie cleaner) free. In its tools you can scan your startup files as well as review them and delete any files that don't belong. If you aren't comfortable with thease steps then taking it to a pro is probably your best bet. Either way download CCleaner free.

WayneB

when in doubt, wipe and reset.
run Belarc adviser, which will give you a printout of all registered software, and installation keys.
You can then fdisk and reinstall every single application from windows to games, as newly purchased and installed.

You can also try trendmicro's online scan tool called housecall, I have had some success with it in the past.

I would assume you are scanning with malwarebytes in safe mode? Oftentimes a scan in normal mode will remove the live instance, but not the root files, allowing replication.

kevinstan

If you still need help with this let me know. Just PM me. I will be more than happy to help you out.

GoldDot40

3 free programs scanned regularly is all you need. CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and AVG (free edition). I use these and nothing but these on my desktop and laptop computers and I've never had malware or a virus take over my stuff. They HAVE recognized, isolated, and removed a few...but none ever got out of hand.

Halfhitch

Thanks to everyone who has responded - I ran Housecall on my laptop for familiarity before running on hers (it actually found 1 on mine that nothing else had found), now running on hers.

We routinely use the Microsoft options for removing cookies, disk cleanup, defrag and so on, but appreciate the CCleaner suggestion as it may find others. Also appreciate the Safe Mode Malwarebytes suggestion - didn't know it might make a difference - will try that also. I'll be trying your suggestions throughout the day, and hopefully something works.

Kevinstan, I appreciate your offer, and hope I can find a solution before having to bother you personally.

Any additional suggestions will continue to be appreciated.

WayneB

honestly anymore when one of our machines gets infected, I yank the drive and scan it via a drive adapter from another computer.
I'm at 100% removal in mostly 1 pass this way.
Bonus tip: After a scan has been done, you can retrieve any and all important files to store elsewhere, like an external hard drive or NAS.

Halfhitch

Thanks to everyone for their help, after a long afternoon and night, problem appears to be solved.

Briefly, tried most of the suggestions and software, but nothing was working - footprints kept regenerating on reboot. Although I wasn't finished trying all the suggestions, while some of the processes were running on her HP I did additional research on mine and came across a reference to a standalone Malwarebytes BETA program directed specifically at Rootkit malware. In all my research into the problem I had not seen it mentioned but this once. Since it was from MB directly, I loaded it, ran it (took a very long time to run), rebooted, reran regular MB scan and NO TRACE found. To be sure, we rebooted and my wife spent several hours on the computer doing what she normally does and we ran regular MB scan again - nothing found. Started up this morning, did her normal stuff on her computer for a couple of hours, reran MB - again nothing found - seems the Malwarebytes 'Anti-Rootkit Beta' worked (but time will tell).

Thanks again for everyone's interest and help.

Last edited:

pjciii

look at this website. these are a bunch of White Hat computer guys and i have used and downloaded programs a few times.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

i really don't have anything nice to say about MSE they don't stay current in their updates or get them out quick enough.

patrick

Halfhitch

Thanks Patrick, I've noticed their website several times but have never been sure of the security of their downloads without a recommendation such as yours. I'll give them a try. At the moment things seem to be okay, but it'll be awhile until I'm certain.

abrannon

Some of teh best programs for your issue are:

AdwareCleaner (Now owned by Malwarebytes)
Malwarebytes
and if nothing else helps, the best RootKit remover is ComboFix.

ComboFix takes a long time to run but it is very effective.

Halfhitch

Thanks abrannon. Haven't heard of ComboFix, but I'll check it out in case the infection regenerates or we're re-infected (still not certain where it came from originally). We're on the 2 computers a lot and are careful, but consider ourselves fortunate that this is the first time it has happened to us in all these years.

It's always good to know of these possible alternate fixes (I keep them in my notes) as you can never be sure what might work. They may also be of help to someone in the future searching the GON site regarding 'malware' issues they may have (the only previous threads I found were years old, 2012 I believe).

For now though, all still seems well as repeated scans by both MB and MS Essentials don't show anything. Thanks again to all.

SwampMoss

I do what WayneB advises to do. If it is a stubborn virus I remove and scan the drive using a different computer.