*Solved* Help Mercury impeller replaced

dsgbqc

The overheat damaged the gaskets? Head torqued properly,,,, warped?

Yes gaskets were toast. There is a round knob in front of the motor that has "Pull To Prime" and can turn clockwise and counter clockwise anyone know what does this do and how I can use it in the water to test the engine?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if it got hot enough to toast the gaskets, it probably got hot enough to take the temper out of the rings.

check that compression

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
if it got hot enough to toast the gaskets, it probably got hot enough to take the temper out of the rings.

check that compression

^^This^^... See post #2.. :D

little rascal

you probably

toasted the head gaskets.
. Could be a blown head gasket letting water into the combustion chamber
Check the plugs if they have water droplets on them you blowed head gaskets.

dsgbqc

Any update on your engine sir?

Naw just had a look over yesterday spraying down the carb and looking for burnt wires. Will find out Saturday when I get on the lake and see If that helped. If not goning to do a total break down on Sunday.

Cmp1

BANNED
Naw just had a look over yesterday spraying down the carb and looking for burnt wires. Will find out Saturday when I get on the lake and see If that helped. If not goning to do a total break down on Sunday.

Thanks buddy,,,, my 25hp merc is a 07 4 stroke efi,,,, would love to trade my boat for a 14ft Jon,,,, with a 9.9 merc,,,,
Wish you luck with your merc sir,,,, keep us posted,,,,

dsgbqc

Yes took out this weekend. It sputter for a min and then ran at full throttle. So I will just have to go ahead and change out all the parts I have bought, but I'm leaning more towards the reed being bad.

Cmp1

BANNED
Yes took out this weekend. It sputter for a min and then ran at full throttle. So I will just have to go ahead and change out all the parts I have bought, but I'm leaning more towards the reed being bad.

All the luck for you sir,,,, would love to trade mine for a Jon 1460,,,, or something similar,,,, need a smaller engine,,,, too hard to handle the 25hp merc,,,,

StriperrHunterr

I had something similar in my 93 Johnson 25 2 stroke. Turned out to be something wrong in the fuel pump, I want to say one of the flaps, and the carb needed cleaning.

dsgbqc

*UPDATE #1*

So last week replaced the reed, fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb. Took it to the lake Saturday and still same thing. But funny thing was when we were crawling back to the ramp decided to take off the cowling to take a look and bam it started to accelerate¿? Good thing too because a rain cloud was coming toward us. Did the compression today and got 130psi on both cylinder. Already got ignition coil, new spark plugs again, new plugs, and new electric choke on order. Will update again after this weekend.

615groundpounder

I've had the same thing happen to my 35 Mercury. I took the carb apart so many times looking for trash and never could find it. I also rebuilt the fuel pump, replaced all the gaskets, needle valve, fuel lines, and bulb. I finally took the carb completely apart and found the trash in a port that I hadn't been checking. Mine was under the needle valve. It looked like fibers from a filter plugging the port. Get a can of compressed air and clean out all the ports with it. If you take the needle valve out which I did, just be sure not to bend the tab that controls the gap!

615groundpounder

It is item number 6 in the diagram. The needle just slides out and then you remove the seat (what it slides in). Then blow this port out with compressed air. The tabs you don't want to bend are numbers 4 and 5 in the diagram. I was always reluctant to pull this apart with all of my prior cleanings but turned out this was where my problem was.

dsgbqc

21846.GIF

In the 25 it's much easier but I actually did remover and spray and replace with new one on mines. I replace everything in the rebuilt except #7 which is a jet. If these second set of parts don't fix it that's my next item to order.

dsgbqc

So after $500 worth of parts we are finally back in business. Ended up being the electric choke which only cost $35. You live and you learn I'm just happy :)

jeremyledford

So after $500 worth of parts we are finally back in business. Ended up being the electric choke which only cost $35. You live and you learn I'm just happy :)

Lol it happens. But now you know what ya have and if anything were to mess up you learned a lot about how to fix it in the process. She's probably gonna run good for a long time now.