Why has adopting a dog become as much of a hassle as adopting a human?

I usually feel the same way about being bitten, but what some of these dogs have been through is unimaginable. Some bite out of fear and out of their expectations due to prior negative interaction with people who themselves should be neutered. All but a very few are saveable.

Here is a link recent article that describes the reduction in shelter kills that is at least partly due to the work of Rescue Groups.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ue817pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.cc3a8d8bf4d8

I sold AKC lab pups for years. I will never own another dog with any kind of papers. Just to many out there that need homes.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Or inside the house, 365 days a year, depending on how big and tough the dog is.

:cool:

Mine were big and tough, but inside, it was their house too.

Any stranger that came to the door knew it instantly.

treemanjohn

Banned
I love how the word rescue is thrown around. It makes it seem like SEAL team 6 makes an assault and saved the dog or cat. I tried to adopt a Lab at a "rescue". I have a 1/2 acre fenced yard in a nice area and a great family. They wanted $400, my social security number, and birth date on the 4 page application. I laughed at the rescue rep and they had the nerve to ask me what was so funny.... They didn't like what they heard after that

Robert28

Update: Well, I'm first in line for the next litter of lab puppies that should be ready to go late this fall. I don't regret not adopting because I gave that a shot and those people are kooks. They seem to like to post adds on facebook all day "please give Fido a 3 hour ride from the upstate to our shelter!" In other words, use your gas and time (which is fine). The problem is it doesn't get you in their good graces to adopt and if you volunteer you basically have to sign your life away to drive the dog from one place to the other. Fine, Fido can walk the whole way, stop your begging on Facebook if you want to make something easy harder than it needs to be. My biggest issue with those stupid rescue groups is you can't pick a dog YOU want, they'll pick it for you, IF they ever contact you back. I've had labs all my life, I probably know more about them than they do. I want a dog for a pet and that will ride in the boat to hunt. The hunt part and riding in the boat seems to send shivers up their spine and they gasp at the thought of a dog hunting and riding in a boat! So, off to the breeder I went and gave them my deposit. I'm sure whenever I have the dog in PETCO some Hillary vegetarian pet activist will yell and hiss at me for having a "pure bred puppy when thousands of animals need loving homes!". I tried, fatso, they don't want my business, the breeder did and his dogs have hunting backgrounds. He also doesn't require the dog to sleep in the bed with me and I can go to work during the day.

leroy

Mine were big and tough, but inside, it was their house too.

Any stranger that came to the door knew it instantly.

Had some relatives that their dog chewed all the way around the molding of their big bay window my dad ask him about it and that was his response "well its his house too" my dad said that would be a dead dog which he never kept one in the house anyway.

leroy

I have no problem with someone treating their dog like a human just dont try and guilt or force others into doing it.

NOYDB

BANNED
A Lab on the water?

The horror!

That a Lab might get in the water? Double horror!

That a nominal human being could be that stupid? More prevelent every day.

Robert28

I was in disbelief when they acted all shocked about it as well. You have to fill out an application that's longer than most jobs, they asked DETAILED questions (how tall is your fence in your yard, is someone always home, where will you be taking the dog besides home or to the vet, will you ever get another pet while you have this dog). Just silly stuff, that in my opinion, has nothing to do with anything other than to find reasons NOT to let you adopt the dog. I specifically told them I'd like a dog that had a hunting background or that could be trained to retrieve or at the very least, enjoyed riding in the boat and swimming in the pond. I was planning on letting the dog be a dog but I guess these people want you to dress it up in sweaters and sparkly collars and doll it up. Pet adoption ain't for me.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We adopted a black lab from a rescue joint 3 years ago. We got the once over but I don't know what that was other than there was a 3 or 4 page questionnaire. Mrs. elfiii wanted a dog bad to replace the one we had that passed away at 15 so she was responsible for that. My philosophy is if you have to barge into my home for an "inspection" and ask a bunch of personal questions then I ain't your guy. I'm not applying for a top security clearance. I'm looking for a pet dog.

The lady from the rescue place showed up at our house with "Jet Li" for a "trial". She sized us up pretty quick and Jet is the best dog in the whole world so it's all good. He's smart as a whip, responds to hand signal commands, is anxious to please, loves to play, will fetch a ball until your arm falls off from throwing it, thunder don't scare him worth a flip and everybody is his new BFF. I just wish we had gotten him when he was a pup. I would have me a good duck hunting dog.