3rd Skunk; Lanier Stripers

Well, it's official, the reason I got such a good deal on my new to me Bay Boat, it's cursed.

3rd trip out, skunked again, a few hits, no hooks ups, meanwhile I'm fishing directly next to Jeff Blair watching him catch fish hand over hand (even tripled up once) as we are drooling and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Freelines, splitshot baits, down lines (40-60ft) nothing.

Marked good fish all morning, in fact the floatilla made their way to US, and caught fish, as sat and watched.

We just killed herring.

I'm stumped, I noticed all my herring were getting stiff and dying on the deep down line rods; I wonder I was fishing to deep?

I've been fishing Lanier steadily for 3 years now, this is the worst run of luck I've ever had. Ironically in my new boat!!

(We were actually caught in a picture on Facebook, that Jeff Blair posted.......we're the two chumps in the back ground trying to figure out what we are doing wrong!!!)

Nice day on the water though, lots of boats thats for sure.

Well at least you know you were fishing in the right area. Whenever I'm confidant that I'm on the fish but not getting bites I start down sizing. Smaller hooks and line. Try putting your baits at different depths. The bait that I have been seeing has been pretty small. I caught some bait that was swimming around the back of my boat last week. It was shad around 1.5 inch's. It might be that smaller baits are more effective in some areas.

StriperrHunterr

Well at least you know you were fishing in the right area. Whenever I'm confidant that I'm on the fish but not getting bites I start down sizing. Smaller hooks and line. Try putting your baits at different depths. The bait that I have been seeing has been pretty small. I caught some bait that was swimming around the back of my boat last week. It was shad around 1.5 inch's. It might be that smaller baits are more effective in some areas.

^This. And make sure you're using subdued gear. No shiny stuff, even the weights.

fishingguy61

Well, it's official, the reason I got such a good deal on my new to me Bay Boat, it's cursed.

3rd trip out, skunked again, a few hits, no hooks ups, meanwhile I'm fishing directly next to Jeff Blair watching him catch fish hand over hand (even tripled up once) as we are drooling and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Freelines, splitshot baits, down lines (40-60ft) nothing.

Marked good fish all morning, in fact the floatilla made their way to US, and caught fish, as sat and watched.

We just killed herring.

I'm stumped, I noticed all my herring were getting stiff and dying on the deep down line rods; I wonder I was fishing to deep?

I've been fishing Lanier steadily for 3 years now, this is the worst run of luck I've ever had. Ironically in my new boat!!

(We were actually caught in a picture on Facebook, that Jeff Blair posted.......we're the two chumps in the back ground trying to figure out what we are doing wrong!!!)

Nice day on the water though, lots of boats thats for sure.

Or, you could have yelled, "Hey Jeff, give me a few pointers on how to catch some stripers!"

Scout'nStripers

My first year on Lanier was 20 years ago and for the first year of striper fishing I thought that catching stripers on Lanier was a cruel hoax. There wasn't as many guides as there is now and I was the typical stubborn fisherman that wanted to figure it out on my own. It was pretty ugly, then I joined a striper club (the old NGSC), and within a year I was winning club striper tournaments. You can go it alone and it may take years to learn all the tricks to catch fish, You can hire a guide and learn what's working for that season or you can join a striper club for a year or two and learn what works in all seasons. Personally, I liked joining the club, meeting and learning from other members

acwoodatl

Try Charleston park area and when the water warms move to the main lake. Also make sure your changing put the herring frequently so they are always lively. I've heard of people banging on the deck of their boat to call attention haha

Definitely gonna look into the stiriper clubs here locally on Lanier. Tried again today, better tips, lighter gear, shallower depths for baits.....tons of marks, no stripes......managed a nice spot, so I was happy atleast my dad caught something for the trip, but it was a rough morning braving the rain and still missing out on the stripers.

Gonna give it one more go before I head off to work for a few weeks. Hoping last trip is enough to make up for the past 4!!

Sad thing I was doing good this winter, just transition season seems to be kicking my butt.

But hey, 5th times a charm.

AStrick

I would ask about your sonar unit?
You can do it all right,, the one thing you cannot skimp on is good electronics !!!!!!!
Figure out what you can afford and get one a cut above that!!!
Line counter reels help tremendously on down lines!
You can drop baits on their noses, once you find' em!
Trolling weights are a must, I think!

Last edited: