Golf

ribber

Anyone addicted to golf?
For years, guys at work have talked golf all the time. Some of them that's all they do and spend a ton of money on it too. I always picked on them and called them sissies and said I'd never play it.
Fast forward, my daughter tried out and made the middle school team in 6th grade and she's now in 9th grade, so I've started playing with her some in the last year to see what it's all about, but mainly to spend time her (she loves it). And low and behold, I think I'm getting hooked. Bought the cheapest set Academy had and have probably played 10-15 times in last year. Shot a 49 yesterday (9 holes) and was pumped. I know that's not great, but was an improvement for me. I find myself watching Youtube for swing help, thinking about it constantly, talking about it with the guys at work I used to pick on (and eating some crow).
I always played sports, but never golf. I guess after getting older it gives me a sport outlet.
For anyone that's thinking of playing, beware that it can sink its hooks into you.

skeeter24

I still play when I can but not as much as I like. Between normal life, hunting, fishing, sports with my 10 & 12 year old not much time left. My boys finally picked up golf in addition to football, baseball, and basketball last summer. I hope they stick with it.

I have played just about every sport there is and have found nothing as frustrating as golf can be sometimes. One thing I love about individuals sports though....when you perform badly you have no one to blame but yourself.

T-N-T

No.
Worked at a driving range when I was 16.
Learned to hit a ball with a 2 iron as far as the "pro" who owned the place could with a driver.

Played 9 holes once and said the driving range was much better.
Never been back.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Keep her interested. Golf is one of the women's college sports that has trouble getting enough players to give scholarships to, particularly at smaller schools. I have a friend in Indiana that is a small college golf coach and has to beg girls to play so he doesn't loose men's scholarships. He'll even teach them if they don't know how.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Golf is the devil. You will either like it or hate it. Either way if you have a competitive nature it can be seriously addictive. Simply because you can't never beat it.

ribber

Keep her interested. Golf is one of the women's college sports that has trouble getting enough players to give scholarships to, particularly at smaller schools. I have a friend in Indiana that is a small college golf coach and has to beg girls to play so he doesn't loose men's scholarships. He'll even teach them if they don't know how.

I've been told that by several people, so I'm going to do my best to keep her interested and improving.
She got started by taking lessons the summer of the 5th grade with one of her friends who plays. Before this, I knew very little about golf, so I couldn't help her at all. She's not an outstanding golfer but she's average. She's the 3rd best of the 5 girls on the high school team and only a freshman, so I feel like she has potential to be really good by her senior year. IF, she works at it.

Jim Baker

Staff member
It's a tough game for sure, but I like it.

I hate it and I play at least 3 rounds a week. Can't wait until tomorrow afternoon. Got hung on it just like you. Playing with my kids. It is a good pass time and is something you can do alone or with a group. Good exercise for aging bodies.

Deerhead

I was on the H.S (4yr) and College (2yr) golf team. Now that I am older and working for a living I play once or twice a year. I enjoy it and glad I am not competing anymore. It was fun and learned a lot about me and the people I played with. One word of advice, please provide the best instruction you can so she can improve her ability and knowledge. Yes it’s that important! Dwee87 is exactly right colleges need good women golfers. It’s not easy but if she enjoys golf it would help pay the tuition. Also check out the Junior Golf Association.

Havana Dude

I use To play on average about a dozen times a year. Not nearly enough to get better, and it just got too expensive for me to waste my money on. I'm not anti golf, I just prefer to spend money on other things. My son picked it up early in life, and isn't half bad. But, he's not rich either so he plays very little. If I had access to a cheap course and a few close friends wanted to play, I'd probably pick it back up. But I don't see that happening.

Oldstick

I was told the exact same thing probably 10 or 12 ago by a local golf course pro. And I believe it.

Dr. Strangelove

I use To play on average about a dozen times a year. Not nearly enough to get better, and it just got too expensive for me to waste my money on. I'm not anti golf, I just prefer to spend money on other things. My son picked it up early in life, and isn't half bad. But, he's not rich either so he plays very little. If I had access to a cheap course and a few close friends wanted to play, I'd probably pick it back up. But I don't see that happening.

Kinda the same here. I used to play once or twice a weekend, but it just got to be too expensive. I'll bet I haven't played a dozen rounds in the last ten years.

ribber

Kinda the same here. I used to play once or twice a weekend, but it just got to be too expensive. I'll bet I haven't played a dozen rounds in the last ten years.

I could see where it would get very expensive if you don't live near an affordable course.
I'm fortunate to live 3 miles from a course that's only $15-20 per round. And, my daughter gets the golf team discount because it's the 'home' course for the school. I like the game, but I'm not about to join a country club and hang out with the jerks/brats that frequent them, or wear plaid and pink polos. I'm more of a Happy Gilmore type!

Duff

I played 27 holes Friday and 36 Saturday, so I guess I like it ok.:bounce:

I probably average playing once a week from March-Aug. I don't play as much as I use to now that I have a little one. Been playing since I was 15---30+years. I'd quit today if I could get back the money I've spent on it over the years:bounce::crazy:

It is a great game

Buford_Dawg

I used to play alot and really love it...

But many factors have contributed to me not playing as much now. Age, time, and fact that both my boys (16 and 20) love it and play alot and the cost of all of us playing adds up real quick. So, I pay for them to play most of the time. Good thing is my son picked up a summer job at a golf course so he plays for free now. It is a great and frustrating game, but I do like to play, especially with friends and we joke and have fun instead of keeping score ;)

gobble79

I enjoy playing when I can work it into my schedule. Ditto about what others have said about females and scholarships. Great way to spend more time with your kids even as everybody grows older.

660griz

I like it...again. I played for many years. Drove 45 miles one day to play a course. Paid $50 green fee. Hit a bad shot on hole #10, packed my stuff up and went home. Sold my clubs, shoes, everything the next day.

3 years later, got the bug again. Bought a cheap Calloway set and after a couple rounds. Right back where I was 3 years ago. I have a different mindset now. It is fun again and I try not to let golf ruin the beautiful scenery.

MOTS

I was hanging with Tiger yesterday, drinking pretty heavy, we were supposed to go 18 rounds at the park in McRae today. He never called. Oh well.