5 Dont Leave Without Boating/Trailering Items

CaptainSolo

As much as I travel with my boat, for tournaments or just fun fishing new lakes, I have grown to have quite the collection of spare parts and tools to be able to work on my boat when on the road. Here is a handful of the things I never forget to bring with me.

1) Spare Trailer Hubs- I usually have two spare hubs with me at any one time. All you need is one bad experience with bearings keeping you on the side of the road, and youll never want to be in that position again.
2) Spare Prop and hub- This should be obvious but I know several people who dont carry a spare.
3) Baking Soda- Ever have a battery leak into your boat? I had a bad experience with my first boat where the battery got punctured by a loose screw and leaked all the acid into the boat. Since then, I have carried baking soda with me to clean up any acid spills. It sounds like an unlikely issue, but if it happens to you youll never want to leave home without some Arm and Hammer.
4) Spare Transducer & Mapping Cards- Ive had many transducers get damaged or just stop working, so I usually keep a spare with me on long trips. I also keep a variety of Navionics cards, not only for different features, but also because I have "sausage fingers" and Ive lost a micro sd card or two trying to take one out. I also keep a collection of them to help a friend out if they need one- which happens quite often.
5) Bottle Jack- Changing out a flat sucks by itself, but having an easier option to your truck's crappy crank jack has treated me very well over the years.

Ive obviously got many other tools and spare parts, but these are some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

What are your "never leave home without" items?

10sne1

T Bar lug wrench
Trailer light bulbs
TP
Extra sunglasses
Extra hat

jeremyledford

I think you hit the nail on the head.
1. I always have a 4-way tire tool in the toolbox. Cause who knows if your truck tire tool fits the boat! (Actually, mine does, but it's there if I need to help anyone I pass on the road or a friend)

2. JB weld. And I mean the one that cures in 5 minutes. I can fix about anything with that stuff....at least long enough to get me till I have time to replace.

3. Spare hub and prop. You said this, but I also carry a spare TM prop/pin/nut. Never broke one but I spun one off. Lock washer fixed that for good, though.

4. Wipes/toilet paper. We can't all be GMAN and be sponsored by Dude Wipes.... but I don't wanna make do when I gotta doodoo.

5. Extra fuel/water separator and fuel primer bulb. I'm pretty weird about taking meticulous care of my stuff. But these are important backups. You'd be surprised at how often primer bulbs go out. Not mine, but friends-they don't last forever.

6. Extra battery charger. If my onboard bank charger fails I'll still be ok. I also have a set of jumpers in the truck toolbox.

7. Tow rope. Self explanatory. I keep one in my boat and 4wd toolbox

8 sunscreen. Without fail someone forgets this every single time.

9. Spare assorted fuses.

10. Spare key to truck AND boat. Nothing worse than being locked out!

WayneB

cordage, sunscreen, spare shades, spare hat, battery bubbler and stones.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
4 way lug wrench for sure, drain plugs, cotter pins, light bulbs and fuses, tow rope, and rain poncho.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
The only one I have from your list is a bottle Jack.. Never again will I scissor Jack one on the shoulder of a two lane while folks are screamin by at 70.. I carry wheel chocks too

Jack Ryan

Jumper cables.
Sponge
Screw driver
Pliers or just a Leatherman
Duct tape or black tape
WD 40
Couple feet of 10 gauge 3 wire house wire.
Some zip ties.
Extra wing nuts for the battery

LTZ25

cell phone and a pocket full of cash , just in case I need to pay for any of the above mentioned issues .

j_seph

Took me two bearings going out, changing one in a parking lot, one on side of interstate, then having to replace an axle to learn. Have the good hub off old axle, need to put new bearings in it.
Also a extra set of bearings, tube of grease, grease gun, and axle nut wrench as well as an extra cotter pin. Course the spare hub will be the quickest.